Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #1

looking to buy a 2007 "loaner"

Is this crazy? The car is used by the dealer as a service loaner. It has 5000 miles. About 7 months of the warranty is used up, and a CPO would extend the warranty to about 5 1/2 years.

The car is Tiptronic, so I assume it hasn't been pushed beyond redline. Although, I'm sure previous drivers weren't to gentle with it.

I'm not crazy about buying a loaner, but if I can get a good price is it worth considering?

kras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:44 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
depends, all i know if i got a loaner porsche i would want to know what the hell makes it a porsche and push the crap outta that car.
im sure post people would.

tough call man
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
blkboxster

i wouldnt, i always push my loaners hard
Old 09-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
bmussatti

If you can get the "deal of the century"...maybe do it.

Have them give & explain a print-out from the DME showing every near over-rev and true over-rev and type. Then you will know if it is worth the risk in purchasing. If they won't provide this info, maybe they have something to hide.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
If you can get the "deal of the century"...maybe do it.

Have them give & explain a print-out from the DME showing every near over-rev and true over-rev and type. Then you will know if it is worth the risk in purchasing. If they won't provide this info, maybe they have something to hide.
How do you overrev a tip?
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #6
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL12
How do you overrev a tip?
The DME will record different types of revs. I think there are about 4 types. And Porsche classifies them in different categories. I would consider the upper end to be an over rev.

Just like in the manual tranny. We have a rev-limiter to protect from an over-rev, but you can kick in the rev-limiter, and the DME will store that over-rev code.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:08 PM   #7

I'm sure it was "broken in" just right

Good price, color, options, extended warranty...how long you planning to keep it?
Throw in an oil change. Do you have a DD, in case (down the road) it's in for a extended repair (or loaner, you can beat on)?

If it all adds up, then go for it

markab986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
funny, if it breaks down you get a loaner <-that you wont beat on
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:30 AM   #9
1JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kras
Is this crazy? The car is used by the dealer as a service loaner. It has 5000 miles. About 7 months of the warranty is used up, and a CPO would extend the warranty to about 5 1/2 years.

The car is Tiptronic, so I assume it hasn't been pushed beyond redline. Although, I'm sure previous drivers weren't to gentle with it.

I'm not crazy about buying a loaner, but if I can get a good price is it worth considering?
If 7 months of the warranty is used up then the cars been titled and is a used car. The time period on a warranty should start on the day the car is sold. If you buy it and title it in September '07 you get 4 years from September '07. The mileage starts from the first mile. I wouldn't pay any more for it than I would a used '07 and would be more concerned about it since every Tom, Dick and Harry has driven it not to mention put the cheapest gasoline they could find into it before returning it.

Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote