Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2004, 07:38 PM   #1

986 Badge?

Does anybody know where I can get a "986" badge for the back trunk. Either silver or black?

Old 08-16-2004, 08:45 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/eagleday/emandde.html

i would like to get one of these myself. i have never ordered from this company.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:36 PM   #3
Lux

I saw a Boxster with the 986 emblem on it a while back. I thought it looked pretty cool.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:15 PM   #4

yeah, im a fan of it too. i have yet to see it in person, but i have always favored the porsche numbering system to the names (not a fan of boxster or cayenne...carerra is okay). Saying you have a 986 just sounds more exotic than a 'boxster' -- likewise saying 993, 996, etc. IMHO
Old 08-17-2004, 05:09 AM   #5

Thanks Richard, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I don't mind the name Boxster, but I agree that 986 is more exotic and genuine Porsche sounding.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:41 AM   #6

If you are worried about that retailer, Suncoast sells it as well and its a few bucks cheaper.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=9445592200370C&Category_Code=POTEBXEX
Old 08-17-2004, 07:19 AM   #7

when you do this, get pictures. I will be doing it closely behind you.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:46 AM   #8

jfmillr did this a while ago. ( among other things )

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=844
Old 08-17-2004, 10:32 AM   #9

wow! that looks awesome!!!! im doin it. his touches of mesh in the grill are killer as well.

i have a 3x black boxster, but would like the 986 emblem to stand out -- do you know where i can get the artic silver spray paint? or am i being too picky and will any old krylon do the job?
Old 08-18-2004, 07:28 AM   #10

I ahve a black 986 and I have the number on the back , I painted them silver, just got to an auto part store and buy silver paint. give a few coats, you dont want the pain to chip off.

I also just put on a tech art style wing, mesh grills on sides and front and have the 3 Piece 3.6 turbo wheels. I have to have pics posted soon. I got mine "986" over at suncoast
jaygo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 07:47 AM   #11

defenately interested to see how it looks on a black car. Does your wing retract? i would like a cooler wing, but i dont want one that stays up all the time.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:15 AM   #12

My spoiler has a 986 sticker which looks cool when it is up, I purchased it off of ebay and i noticed that they have the badge you are looking for as well. they even have a 986s badge which looks real cool here is one for example
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7916641309&category=33643

i buy everything from ebay, I even purchased my 986 on Ebay

Automon
Automon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:18 AM   #13

Really quick, if you paint something with the paint at the auto store I would strongly suggest also putting down a few coats of clear coat. What ever brand paint you end up getting, there should be a can of clear near by. You can then polish up the clear coat like you would your normal paint.

Also, I would suggest taking your time painting. Give one light coat of paint each night for a couple nights, and then a few clear coats then let it dry for a couple days.

A friend of mine and myself have built a few custom guitars and we always use auto paint and this is how we do it. If you take your time it will come out really good.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:10 AM   #14
Lux

Agree with Q. The clear will somewhat hide small scratches.

Q, did you build your guitars from scratch or with parts from somewhere like Warmoth? I've got a couple from Warmoth and they play awesome.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 10:00 AM   #15

Automon... Those appear to be interior badges. we are looking for the badge on the trunk lid. also, do you know if anyone has a 986 S badge for the trunk? having a boxster S, this might be a cool thing.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:20 PM   #16

I would assume you could get the S part of the badge from ebay...

My wing I purchased on spoilerdepot.com called and got it for $200.50 painted and delivered!! ( the website stated more $$ )

Also, had my auto body shop put it on with 3m double sided tape and, it is not coming off it just stayed there. I did not want to drill holes.

My wing still retracts aon tyhe highway and kinda fills the whole wing like a whaletail on the highway, kinda cool, I think. definately gives the car a whol new look.

My 3 piece 3/6 turpo rims are in the mail from getting reapired and should have them on this weekend I will take pics then and post them here.

I also have a custom stereo, with built in dvd in the dash and alpine retract radio/screen I post that up too.

Having the black car with 986 in silver and the silver grills all around with the silver wheels with polished deep dish lips makes gives that black with silver accents look all around.

Definately stick out especialy here in CT where everybody has Porsches that are bone stock.
jaygo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:27 PM   #17

Scott I apologize for this tangent:

Lux,

The first guitar that my friend did was to hot rod a Mexi strat complete with new paint job. Then I ordered a bunch of random parts off EBay for a guitar and he got parts for a bass. It’s fun. I’m planning on doing another one during the winter when the weather takes a turn for the worse and I get bored.

Anyway, to legitimize this post. There are a bunch of places around where you can buy the Silver or Chrome "Boxster S" script for the deck lid. Since the "S" on the Boxster is a separate piece you can just use the S. However, I would imagine it has a post on it for mounting like the normal text, so you would probably need to mod it and find some really good adhesive.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:16 PM   #18

oh, the trunk lid scrpit is post mounted? i never bothered to look but assumed it was adhesive. does the 986 script mount in the same holes (i would assume it would)?
Old 08-18-2004, 08:32 PM   #19

I recently put on a standard Boxster badge on my rear trunk, and it was adhesive. I don't think any of the badges are post mounted, but maybe the Boxster S ones are.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:37 AM   #20

I guess maybe I am crazy? I thought I saw one some place, any way. I think we have thoroughly beaten Scott’s original questions to a pulp regardless.