Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #1

Wait for 2009 or get the 2008?

I've been looking on the web for pictures of the 2009 Boxster/Boxster S, and have only been able to find spy shots dating from February and May of this year. I'm not sure that I like what I see, but it is camaflouged so I really can not tell, what the front lights will look like. LED lights and larger side mirrors are great and all, but they look too much like the lights on the Honda S2000 that I sold. The greatest advantage seems to be Direct Fuel Injection (DFI), which is expected to raise power on the base Boxster from 245hp to 270 hp, and on the 'S" raise power from 295hp to 325 hp, making it the first Boxster S to go 0-60 under 5.0 seconds. More power will certainly outweigh for many some of the "ugly" styling tweaks. Here's my dillema, my car should be made in December 2007 and delivery in late January to early Feb. Would you cancel the order and wait until....April, possibly September for the 2009?

Pluses: Updated styling, more power.
Cons: Updated styling, possible bugs in the first year of a changed model.
vincesf

vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:44 AM   #2

I vote for taking delivery of your 08. I faced similar situation with my 04. Then decided I could keep waiting for one more year for a long time.

The way I calculate the deal is that I got a year of Boxstering, and the 05 did not blow me away. As you predicted for yourself, I liked some 05 changes and other not so much.

And spy shots aren't very helpful until the release date nears.

Go for the present!
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:09 AM   #3

I am actually making the same decision. I plan on buying a 2007 if they will deal with me, which I heard they would. (I'm talking about ~$10k off MSRP or pretty close to invoice) I don't see any advantage to buying a 2008 at close to MSRP --it may hold its value better, but you are paying for that up front.

If I cannot get a 2007 with the right options or they won't bargain, then I plan to wait for the 2009. My guess is it will be out around March-April (but this is purely a guess --the Cayenne came out in March). With the body & possible engine changes, I will expect to pay very close to MSRP.

It really depends on how soon you need it.
kras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:34 AM   #4

I am sure that they will want full sticker for an '09 in my area. If I get the '08, I will be getting $3,000 off sticker and it will have some unusual options including Sport Exhaust. I can not find an '07 with the options I am looking for. I am sure noone has an '09 ordering sheet, which probably will not be available until at least January. I have $5,000 put down as a deposit, do you think the dealer would even entertain cancellng my '08 with a build-date in December, and keeping my deposit for an '09 with an indefinite release?
vincesf
Old 09-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #5

I would wait.....if you think it will be close to 325 horses....but thats close to 911 territory in power and I'm not sure they would do that....unless the 911 gets a bump....at least according to the sales guy I spoke with 2 weeks ago
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #6

I still don't understand this never ending need to up horsepower.
Me thinks it betrays the whole concept of a roadster. These aren't meant to be miniature corvettes or vipers with convertible tops. It's like tossing red meat out to the masses, most of whom never attend formal driving instruction or participate in any level of grassroots motorsports yet complain of insufficient power.
If anything I'd like to see a new Boxster that uses clever methods to lighten the car: lighter wheels, lighter chasis, lighter door materials, lighter engine components, less pottery barn inspired interiors. Seems like Porsche has given up and is selling to Starbucks yuppies who decided Lexus and BMW is passe and Porsche is the new it car.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:14 AM   #7

Get the 2008 (you already have it on order). Enjoy the car. Even if you wait for the changes in 2009, there will be more changes in 2010, and so on........ You will never catch up, and therefore, never realize your dream of owning a Porsche.
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #8
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soetekouw
Get the 2008 (you already have it on order). Enjoy the car. Even if you wait for the changes in 2009, there will be more changes in 2010, and so on........ You will never catch up, and therefore, never realize your dream of owning a Porsche.
Good advice here. I agree with Soetekouw.

I ordered my 2006 in August of 2005. I took delivery in March of last year. A few months later the 2007's came out with 15 more HP. Would I have liked to had 15 more ponnies for bragging rites...sure. Would I have been willing to wait a whole additional year...now way. I waited long enough.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #9

Thank you for the posts. I had a 2006 987 S, and regret to this day ever selling it. In my mind, there was nothing lacking with the car and it had more than enough power. I know for certain that I like the styling and packaging of the current Boxster, and yes the '09 will be .2 to .4 seconds quicker to 60 mph, the '10 will be faster yet, and of course there will be the completely new 988 in 2013. Imagine if Porsche does the same as they did with the Cayenne S. They came out with 385 hp Cayenne S earlier this year, and have recently annonced the more powerful GTS. Quite frankly, if I wanted the fastest car, I would buy a Z06 Vette for the same price as a well equiped Boxster S, or I would have kept my '06 Lotus Elise (felt like a kit-car compared to a Porsche). Quite frankly, I am going to wait until I can see some actual pictures of the '09 to reserve judgment, and am dissapointed that nothing came out of the Frankfurt Show. If all of this means that I am .2 to .4 seconds slower to 60 mph, oh well.
vincesf
Old 09-17-2007, 04:36 PM   #10

"The greatest advantage seems to be Direct Fuel Injection (DFI)"

Could someone explain the technology of DFI and what effect it has on gas mileage in addition to the increased HP, thanks,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
"The greatest advantage seems to be Direct Fuel Injection (DFI)"

Could someone explain the technology of DFI and what effect it has on gas mileage in addition to the increased HP, thanks,

Ed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_direct_injection

Basically, an even better contolled use of fuel which results in greater efficiency.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #12

There does not appear to be a downside to DFI. Better efficiency and response. Also allows for greater engine compression. I believe the base Cayenne has compression into the 12's.

vincesf
Old 09-19-2007, 04:15 AM   #13
tkn

I say wait and get the 2009. Sure it is depriving yourself for a couple of months, but the upgrades seem substantial.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:32 AM   #14

I'm holding out for the 2022 model. I will be 60 years old and retired then, and boxsters will probably have 550 hp and float above the ground and not even need tires by then.

This will also amortize all the friggin' mods I have done to my car and I will REALLY enjoy the HP gains over the 200 I have now.

Every year, they improve the car and I want one, until I think about what might come in the years to come.

If money were no object, 24 month leasing would be the way I'd go. One stays within factory warranty and gets a new Porsche every other year.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:13 AM   #15
1JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincesf
I've been looking on the web for pictures of the 2009 Boxster/Boxster S, and have only been able to find spy shots dating from February and May of this year. I'm not sure that I like what I see, but it is camaflouged so I really can not tell, what the front lights will look like. LED lights and larger side mirrors are great and all, but they look too much like the lights on the Honda S2000 that I sold. The greatest advantage seems to be Direct Fuel Injection (DFI), which is expected to raise power on the base Boxster from 245hp to 270 hp, and on the 'S" raise power from 295hp to 325 hp, making it the first Boxster S to go 0-60 under 5.0 seconds. More power will certainly outweigh for many some of the "ugly" styling tweaks. Here's my dillema, my car should be made in December 2007 and delivery in late January to early Feb. Would you cancel the order and wait until....April, possibly September for the 2009?

Pluses: Updated styling, more power.
Cons: Updated styling, possible bugs in the first year of a changed model.
vincesf
Don't take this the wrong way but why are you buying a Porsche? There are plenty of other cars with better 0-60 and skid pad times than the Boxster S for a lot less money. In my opinion mentally and emotionally buying a Porsche is best done in the same spirit as buying a pair of fine diamond earrings for your wife. Each one is unique in it's own way and cherished for being yours, today and 50 years from now when someone else is driving it as classic you were the first owner.

There were roughly 1700 Boxster S's sold in the US for the '06 model year and I own one. It goes at least 160 mph, 0-60 faster than I ever need to get to 60 and through the corners a lot faster than I can take it. If I had the cash when they first came out with the Boxster I'd still be driving that one. When I see any older Porsche on the road it's just cool. People will talk to you at the fruit stand about the one they owned 20 years ago. When you see a 20 year old 911 it's priceless, and so clearly related to today's 997.

Before you plunk down roughly $70k US if you pay cash or even more if you buy on credit I'd make sure you're not doing it to have the latest and greatest in 0-60 times. Emotionally you won't have the latest and greatest in terms of 0-60 and HP for very long. You won't even have it when you drive it off the lot. But what you do have is your Porsche. Man that's a cool feeling, today and 10 years from now.

My 2@s, sorry if it sounds "preachy."
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:01 AM   #16

I disagree with settling for a present model instead of waiting for the newest model. Every magazine or test says get the latest model you can afford. I'm sure a 2008 has more updates then a 2007 other then horsepower increase. It may not be visible but I'm sure those Porsche engineers didn't sit around for a year and drink coffee. All I can say is it must be nice to have the ability to wait for the newest model and buy it.
hdpt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #17

Yes, it would be nice to have the newest model, but sometimes it might be best to have the older technology until the bugs are worked out with the newer technology. Having one of the first Cayenne's I can tell you first-hand that sometimes newest and bestest do not always go hand in hand. For starters, Supplemental Restraint lights were constantly going off and needing resetting, the headlights were problematic, oh and the engine needed to be replaced at 18,000 miles. I'm still on the fence with this one, but am leaning on taking delivery on the '08, as I know for sure that I like the styling, the new drooping tail-lights ala revised Cayenne, don't do much for me on the Boxster, and will 30 extra hp make all that big a difference?
vincesf
Old 09-19-2007, 01:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JB
Don't take this the wrong way but why are you buying a Porsche? There are plenty of other cars with better 0-60 and skid pad times than the Boxster S for a lot less money. In my opinion mentally and emotionally buying a Porsche is best done in the same spirit as buying a pair of fine diamond earrings for your wife. Each one is unique in it's own way and cherished for being yours, today and 50 years from now when someone else is driving it as classic you were the first owner.

There were roughly 1700 Boxster S's sold in the US for the '06 model year and I own one. It goes at least 160 mph, 0-60 faster than I ever need to get to 60 and through the corners a lot faster than I can take it. If I had the cash when they first came out with the Boxster I'd still be driving that one. When I see any older Porsche on the road it's just cool. People will talk to you at the fruit stand about the one they owned 20 years ago. When you see a 20 year old 911 it's priceless, and so clearly related to today's 997.

Before you plunk down roughly $70k US if you pay cash or even more if you buy on credit I'd make sure you're not doing it to have the latest and greatest in 0-60 times. Emotionally you won't have the latest and greatest in terms of 0-60 and HP for very long. You won't even have it when you drive it off the lot. But what you do have is your Porsche. Man that's a cool feeling, today and 10 years from now.

My 2@s, sorry if it sounds "preachy."
You make some excellent points. I have been toying with the idea in getting a super clean, low miles 1989 Carrera Cabriolet. It's a great car, a future classic, and will not depriciate 50% in value over the next 5 years. Heck, I wish I could buy both the '89 Carrera and the '08 Boxster S, but I'm, not able to. I really would like to keep this car for 10 or more years. I am sure you've read that before. At the end of 10 years, I just believe I would get more enjoyment (for my driving taste) with the Boxster S.
vincesf
Old 09-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #19
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincesf
It's a great car, a future classic, and will not depriciate 50% in value over the next 5 years.
Vincesf, not to get too off-subject here, but I just don't "buy" the whole depreciation statement. I would like someone to explain this better to me.

A car should be worth less in five years. The owner "consumed" part of its useful life span. I just don't view it as depreciation. I see it as consumption and that consumption results in a benefit to the owner/buyer in the form of entertainment and enjoyment.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Vincesf, not to get too off-subject here, but I just don't "buy" the whole depreciation statement. I would like someone to explain this better to me.

A car should be worth less in five years. The owner "consumed" part of its useful life span. I just don't view it as depreciation. I see it as consumption and that consumption results in a benefit to the owner/buyer in the form of entertainment and enjoyment.
Agreed, but I remember the day that special interest cars retained a greater percentage of their original purchase price.
vincesf