View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 05:13 AM   #15
1JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincesf
I've been looking on the web for pictures of the 2009 Boxster/Boxster S, and have only been able to find spy shots dating from February and May of this year. I'm not sure that I like what I see, but it is camaflouged so I really can not tell, what the front lights will look like. LED lights and larger side mirrors are great and all, but they look too much like the lights on the Honda S2000 that I sold. The greatest advantage seems to be Direct Fuel Injection (DFI), which is expected to raise power on the base Boxster from 245hp to 270 hp, and on the 'S" raise power from 295hp to 325 hp, making it the first Boxster S to go 0-60 under 5.0 seconds. More power will certainly outweigh for many some of the "ugly" styling tweaks. Here's my dillema, my car should be made in December 2007 and delivery in late January to early Feb. Would you cancel the order and wait until....April, possibly September for the 2009?

Pluses: Updated styling, more power.
Cons: Updated styling, possible bugs in the first year of a changed model.
vincesf
Don't take this the wrong way but why are you buying a Porsche? There are plenty of other cars with better 0-60 and skid pad times than the Boxster S for a lot less money. In my opinion mentally and emotionally buying a Porsche is best done in the same spirit as buying a pair of fine diamond earrings for your wife. Each one is unique in it's own way and cherished for being yours, today and 50 years from now when someone else is driving it as classic you were the first owner.

There were roughly 1700 Boxster S's sold in the US for the '06 model year and I own one. It goes at least 160 mph, 0-60 faster than I ever need to get to 60 and through the corners a lot faster than I can take it. If I had the cash when they first came out with the Boxster I'd still be driving that one. When I see any older Porsche on the road it's just cool. People will talk to you at the fruit stand about the one they owned 20 years ago. When you see a 20 year old 911 it's priceless, and so clearly related to today's 997.

Before you plunk down roughly $70k US if you pay cash or even more if you buy on credit I'd make sure you're not doing it to have the latest and greatest in 0-60 times. Emotionally you won't have the latest and greatest in terms of 0-60 and HP for very long. You won't even have it when you drive it off the lot. But what you do have is your Porsche. Man that's a cool feeling, today and 10 years from now.

My 2@s, sorry if it sounds "preachy."
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote