View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 01:35 PM   #18
vincesf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JB
Don't take this the wrong way but why are you buying a Porsche? There are plenty of other cars with better 0-60 and skid pad times than the Boxster S for a lot less money. In my opinion mentally and emotionally buying a Porsche is best done in the same spirit as buying a pair of fine diamond earrings for your wife. Each one is unique in it's own way and cherished for being yours, today and 50 years from now when someone else is driving it as classic you were the first owner.

There were roughly 1700 Boxster S's sold in the US for the '06 model year and I own one. It goes at least 160 mph, 0-60 faster than I ever need to get to 60 and through the corners a lot faster than I can take it. If I had the cash when they first came out with the Boxster I'd still be driving that one. When I see any older Porsche on the road it's just cool. People will talk to you at the fruit stand about the one they owned 20 years ago. When you see a 20 year old 911 it's priceless, and so clearly related to today's 997.

Before you plunk down roughly $70k US if you pay cash or even more if you buy on credit I'd make sure you're not doing it to have the latest and greatest in 0-60 times. Emotionally you won't have the latest and greatest in terms of 0-60 and HP for very long. You won't even have it when you drive it off the lot. But what you do have is your Porsche. Man that's a cool feeling, today and 10 years from now.

My 2@s, sorry if it sounds "preachy."
You make some excellent points. I have been toying with the idea in getting a super clean, low miles 1989 Carrera Cabriolet. It's a great car, a future classic, and will not depriciate 50% in value over the next 5 years. Heck, I wish I could buy both the '89 Carrera and the '08 Boxster S, but I'm, not able to. I really would like to keep this car for 10 or more years. I am sure you've read that before. At the end of 10 years, I just believe I would get more enjoyment (for my driving taste) with the Boxster S.
vincesf
vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote