Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2007, 05:35 AM   #1

Question Coolant cap release?

Any buddy know if the coolant cap is supposed to be so hard to release? I need to add but find I may need a tool to get enough leverage to cause the cap to release. If it is just hand tight, bigger hands than mine have screwed it down. Perhaps it could only be released when cool? Any help appreciated.

AKL

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:44 AM   #2
bmussatti

AKL, the caps are seated very-very tightly. Try using one of those rubber jar-opener thingys from the kitchen. Even a pair of gloves will help with the grip.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:35 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
be careful when you tighen it back, if you overdo it you can EASILY strip it and then you can have one of those great experiences where all the coolant shoots under your car on the passinger side
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
Any buddy know if the coolant cap is supposed to be so hard to release? I need to add but find I may need a tool to get enough leverage to cause the cap to release. If it is just hand tight, bigger hands than mine have screwed it down. Perhaps it could only be released when cool? Any help appreciated.
AKL
It is a pressurized system and the cap is harder to release when the engine is warm. Be very careful taking the cap off if the motor/coolant is warm to hot. It's best to wait until it's cooled down. If you really need to remove it while warm, wrap a towel around/over the cap and go very-very-very slowly to let the pressure release.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:34 AM   #5

Thanks...

to all who responded. Tech. at Danbury said that I may have to use a channel lock after wrapping the cap so as to avoid distortion. I tried my hand again this morn. when the car was cool and used one of those rubber kitchen pads used to open stubborn cans and bottles to no avail. I suppose I will have to try the 'tool' method.

AKL
Old 06-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #6

Got it!

Used a strange set of channel locks that my father had. Wrapped fabric around the blue cap, snugged up the C.Lock, a little pressure and it began to open. I then slowly continued to open it by hand and stopped when I heard the pressure release. I then continued to open it up an fill with distilled water. Now it is up to the full mark. It has been in the 90s the last couple of days and I wanted to make sure the coolant was at peak efficiency. Thanks again to all who helped with suggestions.

AKL