Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2007, 12:52 PM   #1

Alarm won't work!

Hi everyone. I put a new battery in my key-remote about three months ago, then suddenly today, the alarm stopped arming/disarming.
There is a bright light in the remote when I press it, it just does not activate/deactivate the alarm. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

conradtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:33 PM   #2

I guess no one has had this problem. Fuses are all ok. I think my alarm must just be dead.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:07 PM   #3

Does it still lock the doors?
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N.
Does it still lock the doors?
No, the doors don't lock, the trunks don't open. I have to manually lock the doors. Guess I just have to buy a new alarm. Any suggestions on a good brand? Clifford comes to mind... I have not bought an alarm for any of my cars in ten years. Hehe...
Old 06-24-2007, 12:21 AM   #5

a good way to check if your alarm is still operable is to see if all the doors lock when you lock and unlock it using the key.....the central locking system runs through the alarm so if you lock the car and the other doors/trunk don't lock then its the alarm....if they all lock then its just the remote needs to be reprogrammed...also when you lock the car check the led on the center to see if it turns on.... hopes it helps...
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes_box
a good way to check if your alarm is still operable is to see if all the doors lock when you lock and unlock it using the key.....the central locking system runs through the alarm so if you lock the car and the other doors/trunk don't lock then its the alarm....if they all lock then its just the remote needs to be reprogrammed...also when you lock the car check the led on the center to see if it turns on.... hopes it helps...
Thanks Mike. Let's see, the LED in the center still blinks when I lock the doors. All the doors and latches are locked when I lock the key. So I guess the key needs to reprogrammed? I don't understand why it would get "unprogrammed".
Old 06-24-2007, 04:08 PM   #7

Did you recently perchance put your cell phone in the same pocket with your key?

I think I've read of some car manufacturer had problems when customers put their keys in their pockets next to their cell phones... the keys got wiped, and stopped working with their respective vehicles.

And when you say alarm, are you talking about the factory security system? Or did you add an aftermarket unit?

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #8

oh.. good to know, I always put my key in the same pocket that my cellphone.
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #9

hey conrad, best and cheapest place to have the remote reprogrammed is at carlsen porsche in redwood city...just had mine done there and they were the only place that charged $75....all the other stealerships were charging $150.... it only took like 10 min......
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes_box
hey conrad, best and cheapest place to have the remote reprogrammed is at carlsen porsche in redwood city...just had mine done there and they were the only place that charged $75....all the other stealerships were charging $150.... it only took like 10 min......
Damn! I was just by there a couple days ago. Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradtan
Hi everyone. I put a new battery in my key-remote about three months ago, then suddenly today, the alarm stopped arming/disarming.
There is a bright light in the remote when I press it, it just does not activate/deactivate the alarm. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Try your 2nd (spare) remote key.
Many times the circuit board inside the key fob can have a small crack in the foil and although you see the LED light, there is no signal going to the car.

Also check the fuse on the CLU (central locking unit) located under the driver's seat.
You need to remove the seat and you'll find a small blue fuse on the CLU which is prone to burn in some cars.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 02-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #12

thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Did you recently perchance put your cell phone in the same pocket with your key?

I think I've read of some car manufacturer had problems when customers put their keys in their pockets next to their cell phones... the keys got wiped, and stopped working with their respective vehicles.

And when you say alarm, are you talking about the factory security system? Or did you add an aftermarket unit?
I will now keep my key and cellphone in different pockets just checking this topic because I need a new key, knew it for months but put it off...btw, I'm thinking that one should never press the keys buttons while it is it the ignition running...I'm pretty sure that's what finally toasted it *lol*
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #13

You need to start up the car. The remote will re-set.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote