Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #21

Thumbs up Autozone Duralast Gold: 94R-DLG

I have a 2003 Boxter S. The Porsche OEM battery (manufactured in 2007) finally stopped working. I went to AutoZone and replaced it with their "Duralast Gold 94R-DLG" at a cost of $145.

This battery was a perfect fit. It appeared to match the exact dimensions of my Porsche OEM battery. My Porsche's original vent tube also fit perfectly into the battery's vent hole. I was amazed how easy it was to remove the old battery and install this one. There was nothing extra I needed to do except reset my clock (the radio did not require a reset).

AutoZone's "Duralast Gold 94R-DLG" comes with a 36-month free replacement warranty.

For those of you who live in a cold climate and/or who prefer the high cold cranking amps of a full-size battery, you may want to seriously consider purchasing AutoZone's "Duralast Gold 94R-DLG".

vpernell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:59 AM   #22

I just bought one from WalMart for around $70. Has the vent, fits perfectly. Works great.
Bradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
I have thought about using a 34R red top - R for reverse terminals. Others have used this battery but had to buy or fabricate a clamp or adapter plate to secure the Optima to the battery tray. Never seen an Optima part that could be used instead.

If there is an Optima adapter plate/bracket for a 34R provided by Optima that fits the battery tray then can you find the part number? Thanks.
Old post, I know, but I didn't see an answer. Does anyone know if the adaptor plate supplied by Optima works in a 1st gen Boxster?

Interestingly, the price I was quoted for an Optima was quite a bit less than an Interstate.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #24

Yellow Dog Motorsports, they have a web site: www.yellowdogmotorsports.com/details.php?id=93
Old 11-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #25

What would we do without Mikefocke?

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/batteries
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #26

Optima's should be charged at 15v, most alternators do not put this voltage out without a modification.

I am looking at running a custom lithium pack that weighs 2kg's (4.4lb for my American friends!) which should do the trick nicely

Sam
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparker
Optima's should be charged at 15v, most alternators do not put this voltage out without a modification.
This is first I've seen in my research that the Optimas may be a problem in the Boxster. Those in the know please chime in.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #28

They need 15v to charge effectively, most alternators will not produce this without changing the diode.

They will still work without 15v from the alternator, but a fair way below the quoted stats of the unit.

Sam
Old 11-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #29

"Vehicles like jeeps with a wench on the front used for mudding would also benifit from the Yellow top."

My wench usually sits in the passenger seat!
Old 11-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparker
Optima's preferred charge rates (time to reach full charge from a given level of discharge) is 14.4 volts at temps above 41 F, and 14.7V below 41F. The are not a problem on any decently performing charging system; we have never encountered a problem with Porsche's keeping them fully charged. Some maintainers (such as Ctek) have an Optima "optimized" charge cycle, but all that does is get the battery to a full charge quicker. In reality, just about any decent maintainer will keep the Optima happy; they just may take a little longer doing it.....
Old 11-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #31

Dont get me wrong guys, not saying an optima wont work - of course it will. Just not at its peak (or to the specs on the label)

Sam
Old 11-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #32

You must have difficulty reading, so let me restate it more clearly; the Optima will be fine, the only difference the slight voltage change makes is in the time it takes to reach full charge; but it definitely reaches full (per the label) charge..................