986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Buying new battery , what do you guys recommend? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11777)

motoadve 06-18-2007 10:21 AM

Buying new battery , what do you guys recommend?

I WANT A GOOD ONE
Mine died at 8,000 miles on my Base 05 Boxster

r9i8c7k 06-18-2007 10:27 AM

Consumer Reports rated the Autozone battery as the best value. fyi

buster356 06-18-2007 11:27 AM

Local dealership gives us the opition OEM Porsche battery $150.00+ or Interstate, smaller lighter and more powerful for $112.00. Interstate battery even had an adaptor for the vent tubing.

tom

Tool Pants 06-18-2007 11:40 AM

Several brands are talked about here. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2950&hl=autozone

MitchB 06-18-2007 12:17 PM

Autozone Duralast

~ $80 ... top rated, no problem with the vent tube, perfect fit

racer_d 06-18-2007 01:03 PM

Keep in mind, the poster is listed from Costa Rica.. not sure how popular/available Autozone and Interstate batteries are. And I would think shipping a 30-40lb battery wouldn't be "cheap"...

porsche986spyder 06-18-2007 01:27 PM

I work for Interstate. Our batteries are great, but if you want more performance may I sugest an Optima Red top battery. Our plant, J.C.I.(Johnson Controls Inc.) makes those too, and they are the best money can buy. :cheers:

Perfectlap 06-18-2007 01:42 PM

which Optima works for the Boxster? I was considering a Braile too.

pecivil 06-18-2007 02:23 PM

I got the optima red top about 2 months ago when my stock one died. So far it is great.

porsche986spyder 06-18-2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
which Optima works for the Boxster? I was considering a Braile too.

The one that fits best WITH an adaptor plate/braket(FREE, but must ask for when purchased) is the RedTop Group 34.

Or the YellowTop Group 34 with the lightgrey case not dark grey. The light grey case has dual purpose. Starting power and deep cycle. Good if you have a high powered stereo and an amp with base speakers.

An OPTIMA RedTop battery is the only battery specifically designed to take abuse. Its patented SPIRALCELL® Technology offers 15 times the vibration resistance and up to twice the life of ordinary batteries. Plus, it's spill-proof, highly resistant to heat and cold, and can be stored for long periods without maintenance.:cheers:

Brucelee 06-18-2007 03:14 PM

Costco-$52 plus tax.

porschegeorg 06-18-2007 04:02 PM

I purchased the AutoZone battery. Perfect fit, like everyone says.

Tool Pants 06-18-2007 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
I work for Interstate. Our batteries are great, but if you want more performance may I sugest an Optima Red top battery. Our plant, J.C.I.(Johnson Controls Inc.) makes those too, and they are the best money can buy. :cheers:

I have thought about using a 34R red top - R for reverse terminals. Others have used this battery but had to buy or fabricate a clamp or adapter plate to secure the Optima to the battery tray. Never seen an Optima part that could be used instead.

If there is an Optima adapter plate/bracket for a 34R provided by Optima that fits the battery tray then can you find the part number? Thanks.

motoadve 06-19-2007 04:01 AM

we dont have many brands here, Panasonic?
Koba, Solite,Rocket, Ac Delco,Exide

Anyone familiar with this brands?

porsche986spyder 06-19-2007 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motoadve
we dont have many brands here, Panasonic?
Koba, Solite,Rocket, Ac Delco,Exide

Anyone familiar with this brands?

AC Delco and Exide are pretty famous. We have those brands here too. ;)

denverpete 06-19-2007 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
Costco-$52 plus tax.

+1. Sam's Club - $54 plus tax.

pteam 06-19-2007 09:43 AM

Somebody recently told me the yellow tops are for marine only applications? I'm guessing this isnt true? We had one of these in one of our limos at one point.

Whats the difference between the yellow tops and red tops?

porsche986spyder 06-19-2007 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pteam
Somebody recently told me the yellow tops are for marine only applications? I'm guessing this isnt true? We had one of these in one of our limos at one point.

Whats the difference between the yellow tops and red tops?

Yellow tops are DUAL applications for both STARTING POWER & DEEP CYCLE POWER. Red tops are for Starting Power Only. The Blue top Optima is for Marine. Yellow tops are used for allot of off road types of vehicles and cars with high powered stereos with amps. Vehicles like jeeps with a wench on the front used for mudding would also benifit from the Yellow top. Red is more for performance sports cars. But Yellow can also be used in a Porsche, it just depends on how you use your car. Check out Optimas web site.
http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/home.html
The battery list needs to be updated for our cars. But a Red Top Group 34 will work. :D

mikefocke 06-19-2007 10:28 AM

List here

Batteries known to fit list here

CA_Boxster 07-28-2007 07:18 PM

Autozone Duralast 48-DL group size 48 was $85 today. Exact fit replacement with the vent tube and everything.

Autozone also had one of those memory things to keep all your settings while the battery is disconnected for $5. You just attach a 9v battery to it and plug the other end into your cigarette lighter. That way you don't have to reprogram the radio, clock and whatever else you may have. I don't know if these things prevent the radio from needing the radio code when you're done (I don't have the stock radio) but I bet it works for that as well.