Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #21

Thanks! Im in now, just had to complete registration

juan986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #22

Ok just installed the KLIGHT HID Xenon kit tonight. Its amazing. Very easy to install. Takes about 2-3 hours just to take your time and make sure you do everything right etc, especially if you've never taken out the headlights. Just as good as my lamborghini lights.

Quote:
You will notice 10k... "Deep blue" is really more of a violet or purple. It does not look similar to the xenon lights you're used to seeing on the road or Porsche's Litronics.

Furthermore, 10k will not illuminate as well as 4300 or 5000. It's not wise to sacrifice safety for looks -because that's all 10k is good for -looks.
Originally Posted by Jeph

Nope Jeph these 10k's that I bought have no purple or violet in them at all except for a few seconds while they're warming up. Now maybe other brands of lights do have their 10k bulbs have purple in them, but these do not. On the contrary my lamborghini lights pictured below are very purple and a little bit brighter but I'm sure the lamborghini lights are like $10 grand or something. And these lights are MANY times brighter than the stock bulbs.

Also I have to disagree, even though the lights I got for the Porsche arnt purple at all, the factory Lamborghini lights are purple, so are some Audi's and BMWs and this is definately not "ricer" like some have said. I would say the stock Lamborghini lights are closer to 12000K purple and they are BRIGHTER than the HID lights just put in the Porsche even though a higher number. So the whole thing about sacrificing saftey is untrue when the Lambo purple looking lights are brighter and light up more of the road. I stood right next to each of them side by side tonight and compared.

For $200 this is the best thing you can buy and much cheaper than $1200-$1400 for porsche's HID litronics. I would bet that if I asked 10 regular people on the street they would all think these lights are straight from the factory at porsche.

IMO the stock porsche bulbs are a joke, if you don't have the litronics from the factory, something has to be done. The stock bulbs look like bulbs from a 1970 volvo...

I'll try to get around to posting a DIY guide this week. Tommorrow we're installing the heated seats I'll let you know how that goes!

Also here are a few pics from the ebay auction which I must say are very accurate.

10000K lights

Also a picture of my Porsche 911 from years ago with litronics:

Also here is a video of the lights (3mb) , they start off a richer darker color then as they warm up after a few seconds they go into the nice blue color. This video gives the most accurate representation of the color especially near the end of the video as the color changes for the first 10 seconds as the lights warm up - http://www.pteam.net/porschelights.wmv (right click open in a new window)

Hope this post / guide / comparison tests between a few different vehicles and bulb colors helps some of you guys out. I really urge you to AT LEAST get replacement bulbs for your Porsche for $30-$50 as this would at least double the output of the stock Porsche bulbs, and also not look horribly ugly but if you can do the whole HID kit this a great upgrade to the look and safety of your car for a small amount of money!
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*

Last edited by pteam; 07-02-2007 at 11:05 PM.
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:47 PM   #23

nice light kit, I'm currently on the lookout for one right now and found this thread. Pretty useful actually.
SuperBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:06 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteam
I'll try to get around to posting a DIY guide this week. Tommorrow we're installing the heated seats I'll let you know how that goes!
AWESOME! Could you take a picture of where you mounted the ballast/igniter at? That's the only thing I've been iffy on,I don't know where I could secure and leave the ballast without worrying about it.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:35 AM   #25

pteam...I have to say they look better than i thought they would good job. You took the gamble and I think it paid off.

I have the 6000k HID kit from Hella in my car. There is a video of mine at www.youtube.com/gwhand

So after all of this I think everyone that has done this mod is happy with it, its a personal choice of what temperature your looking for they all seem to be winners.

I mounted my ballast behind the carpets and it has a very stock look to it.

My next plan may be a set of hids for the fog lights....stay tuned.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
I mounted my ballast behind the carpets and it has a very stock look to it.
Do you have any pics of how you did that?
Old 07-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
AWESOME! Could you take a picture of where you mounted the ballast/igniter at? That's the only thing I've been iffy on,I don't know where I could secure and leave the ballast without worrying about it.
We left the ballasts in behind the lights, one on each side. We zip tied them onto something I cant remember metal or something, they were very secure I tried to move them with my hand and they wouldnt really move.

Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote