Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2015, 08:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
Interesting to read opinions on the cars when they were still new.

I was especially interested in their comments on the 5-speed vs 6-speed transmission and the S engine vs the base engine.

Several weeks ago here we had a discussion on S vs base and I said I prefer my base cars over my S cars as daily drivers. I didn't really think much why I prefer the 5-speeds and less horsepower over the S cars, it was just my initial gut reaction, but the comments above got me to thinking.

I took my '01S out of hibernation Saturday and had a very enjoyable afternoon driving it in the hills about 20 miles from here. It is a beautiful car, and at 36k miles is the cleanest in my fleet of six Boxsters. I drove it for the afternoon, then put it away and got one of my '99s out yesterday and drove it for the afternoon on the same roads.

Comparing the two cars, I think the 5-speed really was the more enjoyable to drive as I would find the 6-speed often a half gear high or low from where I wanted to be. The 5-speed allowed me easier access to that sweet spot between 3,500 rpm and 5,000 rpm where both engines seem to come alive. While the S car had the added 50 horses over the base car, I wasn't able to use it to my advantage on the roads I was on.

Sitting here thinking while typing, I realize similar thoughts about driving the S vs the base cars in DE events. Last year I drove the '02S car, this year I'm driving the '99's. The added 50 horses is fun on the straights, but again, I like the feel of the 5-speed over the 6-speed when I have to really start driving the car in the corners and the added horses are not that much of an advantage. (It's been kinda fun to have the 996/997 cars pull away from me on the straights only to be able to catch them and hang on their bumpers in the corners. It only sucks when coming out of the corners they wave you past them only to have them blow back by as soon as they get their extra horses spun up! )
I haven't owned a "slushbox" since 1985. Three years ago I was looking to replace my 99 Acura 2.3 CL, and I started out looking at a manual Acura TSX, Honda Accord, Infiniti G30/35, Nissan Z and Lexus IS.

A good friend at work and supplier of my C&D and R&T mags for 12 years (RIP MPN) suggested I look at the Boxster. C&D comparison tests for the early aughts clearly favor this over the BMW, Audi, Nissan, Honda and even Vette droptops when in S trim. Price, value, grin factor and relative exclusivity made the decision.

Interested in RT58's experiences. Everything I've read prior and subsequent to my purchase had the base version as middle of the pack, rating the body as quivering and the five speed as "having throws that are long and ropy".

That clinched me on getting the S (which as great on my 5K+ mile, 17 day road trip two years ago) but crossed off the base as a great DD and highway cruiser.

But I love my 01s and believe its overall Summer utility beats out its contemporaries for handling and UTILITY (trunk + frunk) on road trips.

DBear

dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:12 PM   #22

I have loved Porsche ' s forever, I am a convertible lover and I was in the market for a new car and it fell below my budget. Not even close to the fastest car I have owned but probably the most fun to drive everyday. Makes me smile every time I turn the key.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:11 AM   #23

Garage
Porsche has always been my favored sports car.
Couldn't afford a 911 or Cayman
Value for $$ can't beat it Porsche wise
Can't wait to drive it hate having to stop driving it
I get a giant grin when I see these

Old 04-21-2015, 05:46 AM   #24
2001 Boxster S

Dream car

in my 20's, (about 15 years ago), my girlfriend then gave me a model car of a silver Boxster with red interior. I thought it was one of the most beautiful cars I've seen and promised myself that I would get one before I turned 35.

Fast forward to 2013 and a friend of mine upgraded (downgraded?) to a 370z and decided to unload his 01S...in Arctic Silver! I was 35 then. can't argue with fate.
Dgnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:07 AM   #25

I was looking for a sporty second car project or kit car and did a search for under $15k and found some Boxsters on the list.

The general public believes that a Porsche would be out of reach pricewise as I did so it never even occurred to me I could get one in that price range.

Once i saw the Boxsters I had to find out what they would be like so I went to a dealer and test drove a base model. When I discovered that there were S models
I decided that you can never have too much power, plus it had better brakes and a few other stronger parts.

I found a 2001 S in a private sale for just under $15K in 2012 and here I am happy as can be,
even though I've had a few of the Boxster issues, I'm still enthused.

The good DIY support is a factor too thanks to this forum.

So I fell into the idea of this dream car quite by blind luck really.

Now that I have driven it plenty, I can't imagine ever not having a Porsche to drive.

Every other car's handling pales by comparison and now I'm really disappointed that
many cars designed do not have decent handling characteristics, let alone great.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 04-21-2015 at 06:19 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:12 AM   #26

Why did you buy your Boxster?

Mid life crisis.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #27
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
Mid life crisis.
Me too. I turn 61 in a month but i plan to live to 122.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:48 AM   #28

..I wanted something to cruise in during the summer time while listening to my Katy Perry cds!

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #29
Toppy

Garage
A couple of years ago I was looking for a week end convertible, actually I was close to purchasing a 1964 Impala, when a friend of mine in a wheelchair who owns a 2000 996 convertible finally talked me into taking him for a drive. After 4 hours of driving I was hooked. I had to have a Porsche. I always liked the Boxster, and after all from where the driver sits a 996 & 986 are pretty much the same car. 3 weeks later I had mine own. I know it is not as powerful as my friends 996, but just as much fun, at least for me.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #30

Garage
Some good answers.

Why did i get my 986 ? well i was looking for a Porsche convertible. the 911's are nice and i've toyed with one, but the boxster.. engine is where it should be. it handles.. no it really does handle.. when i push it down twisty roads, it just amazes me at how balanced and how grip it has..

It's not drag car, it's not the quickest off the lights but the balance makes up for 0-60 time ( i know some who tracks a 3.2 and he regularly pas bigger engine 911's with more power due to the balance of the Boxster.

It's drivable. it can be used every day. even with the 928 GTS's and 944 TC i've had while owning the boxster, it still stays in the drive.

It simply is a driving machine
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #31
Run

Why began in child hood with a framed 930 evex turbo picture that still hangs on my wall. I always wanted a Porsche never thought I would ever own one until the financial crisis hit. Ironic in a way but I bought mine at a rock bottom price nearly 6 years later and 25,000 miles its still worth almost as much as I paid for it. From the day I brought it home I knew no matter what there would always be Porsche in my garage.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #32

Garage
why?

It was one of my two dream cars...a Porsche and a vintage Ford Model T. Now I have two Porsche's and three model T's.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:14 PM   #33

Well, to tell the truth, I bought the Boxster because I couldn't afford the Elise that I wanted. In hindsight, it was an excellent decision. I don't think I would have been as happy with the Lotus in the long run.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:16 PM   #34

I rented one for a week in Tasmania and loved it so much that I bought my own a year later.
Squozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #35

I'm so happy I can now answer this question! It's light, nimble, handles like a dream; Good power; looks fantastic; convertible, and yet has enough storage capacity for a weekend away. There is nothing else out there that fits all those criteria.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #36

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I bought mine because my 944 broke down and instead of putting more money into I decided to upgrade
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:41 PM   #37

Does anyone else remember this PC game from 2000?
Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJNzi3Tmnq8

The Boxster was great!
Old 04-23-2015, 06:06 PM   #38
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Does anyone else remember this PC game from 2000?
Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJNzi3Tmnq8

The Boxster was great!
I did have that at one time. I'm sure it's still around here somewhere.

I do Gran Turismo now, even though they use RUF the Boxster is one of the cars you can buy. Everyday I run the Boxster through the Nürburgring. That's my dream, to run my Boxster there.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:52 AM   #39

Garage
I drove disposable vehicles. <$1000. Drove them for a few years, then threw them away. I did that out of high school. Then I finally bought a "nice" car. Blew the motor after paying on it for a year. Made the next two years of payments with the car sitting in the yard. Vowed to never do that again. So for the next decade, I went back to disposable cars again. Then I got a bug to spend a little extra on my next car. I had a Ford Probe stick once and it was a solid car. (I drove it though a flooded street and that is how that car met it's demise.) I liked those little stick shift cars, so I went through cars dot com looking for a little stick shift.

Finally decided on a year old Cobalt. Went to take it for a test drive and discovered I did not have my driver's license. I don't know how how long I had been driving thinking my state ID was my license or what happened to it in the first place, but I was sent home.

The next day I was bored at work and I opened up the year parameter on the website and spotted an Audi TT with 100k miles on it. It looked neat. I didn't have too many friends anyway so a back seat was just a place for my empty McDonald's bags. I scrolled down further and found two 1997 986s. I did some basic research on them (never heard of the bearing issue, thankfully or I would have moved on). Then I asked my friends at work, "Why should I not buy this car?" Then I moved on to anybody I could find trying to get someone to talk me out of it. After two weeks, and the only issue anybody could come up with was repairs are expensive, I went to visit one of the cars. I think everybody knows what happened next. I fell in love. Even the test drive seemed like a waste of time that I could be using to make this car mine.

In retrospect, I should have pressed on getting the wind screen that he had "somewhere" in his garage. I also probably could have knocked 500-1000 off the price. Other than that, I was very lucky and very happy with my little stick shift.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #40
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
... I didn't have too many friends anyway so a back seat was just a place for my empty McDonald's bags.
ROFL.
I love that statement.

78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote