Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 11
Question Blew out clutch, considering changing to a racing flywheel...suggestions?

Currently, my clutch is toast, as is my flywheel, apparently. So now I'm considering changing to the Unorthodox Racing flywheel. Any recommendations or yea/nays? I use my 2001 986S as a weekend car and heavy DE car. I'm replacing the clutch with a OEM Sachs clutch. Is this reasonable or ridiculous. Please help. Also, any companies that carry these parts cheapest would also help too.

poopoopaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:55 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoopaul
Also, any companies that carry these parts cheapest would also help too.
www.****************************************************.com
__________________
-99' Zenith Blue 5-spd...didn't agree with a center divider on the freeway
-01' S Orient Red Metallic 6-spd...money pit...sold to buy a house
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoopaul
Currently, my clutch is toast, as is my flywheel, apparently. So now I'm considering changing to the Unorthodox Racing flywheel. Any recommendations or yea/nays? I use my 2001 986S as a weekend car and heavy DE car. I'm replacing the clutch with a OEM Sachs clutch. Is this reasonable or ridiculous. Please help. Also, any companies that carry these parts cheapest would also help too.
if you go with a lightweight single mass flywheel, you shouldn't use an OEM disk if you plan to drive your car on the street. the OEM disks are solid centered; they rely on the spring loaded dual mass flywheel for cushion.

you can use the stock Sachs pressure plate, but get a spring centered disk from Vertex Auto.
__________________
insite
'99 Boxster
3.4L Conversion

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:36 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Depends on the day of the week....
Posts: 1,400
I just got done doing this, and I went with the Aasco light flywheel, which I obtained from DPS Motorsport for about $900. I also went with the Sachs Sport pressure plate and friction material.

This is an amazing upgrade to the car, IMO.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:45 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Depends on the day of the week....
Posts: 1,400
Insite-

I have a solid centered disc in mine now..and have no issues with the result. I know what you are getting at, and I'd guess for someone who has no experience driving a race clutch its probably a good idea, but I have no issues with a solid centered disc and single mass flywheel personally.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:45 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
I have a solid centered disc in mine now..and have no issues with the result. I know what you are getting at, and I'd guess for someone who has no experience driving a race clutch its probably a good idea, but I have no issues with a solid centered disc and single mass flywheel personally.
good to know. i know a couple of people who went that route and wound up switching to a spring loaded disk because they felt that the solid disk / flywheel combo was a bit hard on the transmission.
__________________
insite
'99 Boxster
3.4L Conversion

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Poway, CA
Posts: 191
I also have the AASCO lt wt fly and stock sachs clutch with no problems I am aware of....

__________________
Arctic Silver 2000 Boxster 3.4l w/Sport Design Package
Supersprint Boxster S Headers/Cats/Muffler
AASCO Lt. Wt FLywheel
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page