986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Blew out clutch, considering changing to a racing flywheel...suggestions? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11659)

poopoopaul 06-10-2007 11:30 PM

Blew out clutch, considering changing to a racing flywheel...suggestions?

Currently, my clutch is toast, as is my flywheel, apparently. So now I'm considering changing to the Unorthodox Racing flywheel. Any recommendations or yea/nays? I use my 2001 986S as a weekend car and heavy DE car. I'm replacing the clutch with a OEM Sachs clutch. Is this reasonable or ridiculous. Please help. Also, any companies that carry these parts cheapest would also help too.

blinkwatt 06-10-2007 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopoopaul
Also, any companies that carry these parts cheapest would also help too.

www.****************************************************.com

insite 06-11-2007 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopoopaul
Currently, my clutch is toast, as is my flywheel, apparently. So now I'm considering changing to the Unorthodox Racing flywheel. Any recommendations or yea/nays? I use my 2001 986S as a weekend car and heavy DE car. I'm replacing the clutch with a OEM Sachs clutch. Is this reasonable or ridiculous. Please help. Also, any companies that carry these parts cheapest would also help too.

if you go with a lightweight single mass flywheel, you shouldn't use an OEM disk if you plan to drive your car on the street. the OEM disks are solid centered; they rely on the spring loaded dual mass flywheel for cushion.

you can use the stock Sachs pressure plate, but get a spring centered disk from Vertex Auto.

Cloudsurfer 06-11-2007 07:36 AM

I just got done doing this, and I went with the Aasco light flywheel, which I obtained from DPS Motorsport for about $900. I also went with the Sachs Sport pressure plate and friction material.

This is an amazing upgrade to the car, IMO.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer 06-11-2007 07:45 AM

Insite-

I have a solid centered disc in mine now..and have no issues with the result. I know what you are getting at, and I'd guess for someone who has no experience driving a race clutch its probably a good idea, but I have no issues with a solid centered disc and single mass flywheel personally.

Patrick

insite 06-11-2007 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwm750
I have a solid centered disc in mine now..and have no issues with the result. I know what you are getting at, and I'd guess for someone who has no experience driving a race clutch its probably a good idea, but I have no issues with a solid centered disc and single mass flywheel personally.

good to know. i know a couple of people who went that route and wound up switching to a spring loaded disk because they felt that the solid disk / flywheel combo was a bit hard on the transmission.

pecivil 06-11-2007 04:10 PM

I also have the AASCO lt wt fly and stock sachs clutch with no problems I am aware of....