Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2007, 08:33 PM   #21

That Neon driver needs to read our parking thread. That's quite a door ding he appears to have.

Hmmm... "Neon driver". Isn't that an oxymoron?

Old 05-31-2007, 09:26 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to ultimate1 Send a message via Yahoo to ultimate1
A car is a car and a fast car is a fast car but there is no substitute for a Porsche. I am not just saying that because I drive a Boxster. The reality is that there is no comparison of a 4 door sedan to a convertible. You can spend some bucks and make some upgrades to make a car go fast in a straight line but the test is what can the car do when taking a curve at high speed? Oh yeah with the sun shining and feeling the wind go through your hair at a 100+MPH.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Why would you spend the cash to upgrade a neon to outdo a porsche?
You would spend less cash just buying a porsche.
Yes. But the SRT-4 comes already done. I.E. Turbo and Sport Suspension. Stock it does not have to be modified any more.

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 06-01-2007 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:23 AM   #24

[QUOTE=djomlas]sports car ey?

Again, you fail to understand, that image you posted is the 1st gen NEON with the 2.0L Single Overhead Cam. engine. That NEON IS a piece of crap. We are not talking about that grocery driver. The 1st gen had ALSO had an ACR and a RT 2.4L Daul Overhead Cam. It was the 2door version. Not the 4door crap you posted. I keep trying to tell people there are 2 versions of the NEON. But you just don't get it. The 2nd gen. also had the same thing but were ALL 4door from 2001-04. But they introduced the SRT-4 that came with a turbo from the factory and sport suspension. :dance:
Old 06-01-2007, 06:29 AM   #25

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i think that i can put just as many groceries in that one as i can in the srt4, but they will get there noise free, and not all shaken up

at the end of the day you still drive a NEON, one way or another...but still, why wouldnt they "factory pimp out" the 2 door one but they chose the 4 door joke.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
Old 06-01-2007, 06:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
i think that i can put just as many groceries in that one as i can in the srt4, but they will get there noise free, and not all shaken up

at the end of the day you still drive a NEON, one way or another...but still, why wouldnt they "factory pimp out" the 2 door one but they chose the 4 door joke.
Because Chrysler likes to use "PLATFORM" frames and chassi for as many cars as posible. I.E. the 4 door NEON SRT-4 is the same frame and chassi as the 4 door PT Cruiser. Chrysler knows how to make mutiple cars built on the same frame, that's how they save money. The Dodge Charger is the same car underneath as the Dodge Magnum. That's why they call it a Platform build.

The Dodge STR-4 was the only car ever made to come with a FACTORY turbo that ALSO included MOPAR FACTORY WARRANTIED upgrades to a stage 1, 2, & 3!

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 06-01-2007 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:32 AM   #27

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
An armor plated S500??? Dude, just what kind of "toys" are you selling, anyway???

It was my mom’s anniversary gift from my dad back in 1997.

He just bought it like that. In fact we never knew it was armor plated until I started driving it about a year ago and had to take it in for service. When I saw it on the lift I asked the tech why the underbody looked different then all the other ones in the shop. That’s when he explained that some of the "big body S500" came armor plated from the factory.

It’s pretty cool. Now I drive through South Central LA throwing all kinds of gang signs.....Just Kidding.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
Old 06-01-2007, 04:12 PM   #28

I think the right driver and tires on the Porsche and the srt4 would not stand a chance. I love the commentator stating that the engine in the front of the srt pushing the front wheels down give it an advantage in skidpad type cornering, if anything the front drive is a minus. lol.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #29

I like the Srt4, but its such a cheaply made car. Everything is plastic, Cheap PLastic. No class.

2000 Porsche Boxster
Litronics
Evo Intake
Chrome Front Grill
18" Turbo Twists
Custom Dual Magnaflow Exhaust
Custom Rear Diffuser

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6...umpic23bg5.gif
Old 06-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #30

[QUOTE=drburton]So how fast is that neon?? What's the 0-60 time, is it faster than the new 2007 3.4L Boxster S?
[QUOTE]

Stock for stock they are comparable to the 00--04 boxster S. The boxster probably has the edge in the upper 100mph+ speed realm due to a lower drag coefficient. A 3.4L boxster S would walk away from the Neon with relative ease.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #31

Resurrecting the Dead

Alright all you brilliant auto aficionados, I want to pick your brain on which car is faster from 0-100 ( I won’t say why I’m asking because I don’t want to get yelled at ) :

My 1999 Boxster or a 2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4 ?

Neon

2939 lbs
215 hp
245 ft-lbs TQ

0-60 5.6 sec
¼ mi 14.1 sec

Boxster

2822 lbs
201 hp
181 ft-lbs TQ

0-60 6.0 sec
¼ mi 14.5 sec

What do you guys think ?

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 09-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #32

thats it, were all selling these pos german cars and getting neons, group buy anyone?

on paper it shows its faster, so its only a rational thing to get, or heck, get 2 while u at it, one for daily, and one for 'show' hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
Alright all you brilliant auto aficionados, I want to pick your brain on which car is faster from 0-100 ( I won’t say why I’m asking because I don’t want to get yelled at ) :

My 1999 Boxster or a 2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4 ?

Neon

2939 lbs
215 hp
245 ft-lbs TQ

0-60 5.6 sec
¼ mi 14.1 sec

Boxster

2822 lbs
201 hp
181 ft-lbs TQ

0-60 6.0 sec
¼ mi 14.5 sec

What do you guys think ?

Nick

Old 09-12-2007, 06:51 PM   #33

Wow.... I can't believe the attitude on this forum.

I take it that none of you that are criticizing people who own neons and civics come from the real world... Must be nice to have that two-seat roadster Porsche bought by mommy and daddy to look down upon the unwashed masses from.

This one of the things that I don't like about owning a Porsche, it seems like a lot of "enthusiasts" have attitudes like this. I just don't see this kind of attitude in the other clubs/forums I'm involved in.

It's also very evident from this thread that a lot of the people criticizing the cars have never actaully attended a performance driving event in their lives, relying on the status symbol of their Boxster to be all the performance they need. Yes, both a Neon or a Civic can be faster than your Box, either in a straight line or around a track.

And of course, the come-back will be "but nothing else is a Porsche..." Just admit that a car as a status symbol is rather important in your life. It's okay, we won't hold it against you and you'll feel better about being honest with yourself. So far, I haven't really seen anything super-special about the Boxster as an overall vehicle, so I hope the marque is worth more than the performance.

If you wish to pick on a car, deal with specific reasons why that vehicle is inferior to your choice. "It's still a neon!" is not a slam, regardless of how it's meant. "it's still a Neon" talking about the ACR or the SRT/4 means that "Dodge was able to take JUST a Neon and created a factory-warrantied car that would keep up with a Porsche in most instances, and beat it in others." If you don't like them because the interior is cheaper, say so, but don't try to claim the whole car sucks just because "it's still a neon."

And to answer the inevitable, no, I've never owned a Neon or a Civic.. I just race with a lot of people who do.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #34

so then when did your parents buy you your porsche?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonko The Sane

I take it that none of you that are criticizing people who own neons and civics come from the real world... Must be nice to have that two-seat roadster Porsche bought by mommy and daddy to look down upon the unwashed masses from.

This one of the things that I don't like about owning a Porsche, it seems like a lot of "enthusiasts" have attitudes like this. I just don't see this kind of attitude in the other clubs/forums I'm involved in.

It's also very evident from this thread that a lot of the people criticizing the cars have never actaully attended a performance driving event in their lives, relying on the status symbol of their Boxster to be all the performance they need. Yes, both a Neon or a Civic can be faster than your Box, either in a straight line or around a track.

And of course, the come-back will be "but nothing else is a Porsche..." Just admit that a car as a status symbol is rather important in your life. It's okay, we won't hold it against you and you'll feel better about being honest with yourself. So far, I haven't really seen anything super-special about the Boxster as an overall vehicle, so I hope the marque is worth more than the performance.

If you wish to pick on a car, deal with specific reasons why that vehicle is inferior to your choice. "It's still a neon!" is not a slam, regardless of how it's meant. "it's still a Neon" talking about the ACR or the SRT/4 means that "Dodge was able to take JUST a Neon and created a factory-warrantied car that would keep up with a Porsche in most instances, and beat it in others." If you don't like them because the interior is cheaper, say so, but don't try to claim the whole car sucks just because "it's still a neon."

And to answer the inevitable, no, I've never owned a Neon or a Civic.. I just race with a lot of people who do.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:18 PM   #35
Track rat

Garage
A Dodge Neon/SRT4 is a disposable car IMHO. Anything can go fast if you pour enough money in it. I once saw a 9 second Ford Pinto... doesn't mean I want to own one.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:54 PM   #36

i dont see why people are arguing over this. it just makes people look ignorant to be trashing other cars that you do not own. I personally do not like neons or dodges for that matter too much but i wouldnt disrespect someone for driving one. everyone is different so we all drive different cars, some people wanna buy a porsche because of the brand, others would rather drive a neon or a civic or whatever with mods that costs more then the porsche did in the first place. its all personal choice, it would be stupid if we all were thinking alike and all drove the same exact porsche.
all cars are cars when it comes down to it it just depends what "brand" you want to be associated with it. and if i wanted to be disrespectful like some people on this site id say theres a lot of euro trash people drive those cheap mercedes-benz c class cars and think theyre the ******************** thinking they're "classy" because they drive a "benz" and in my opinion id rather drive a honda civic then that cheap ass knockoff but again its all personal choice and we dont need to be disrespectful to others
Old 09-12-2007, 11:13 PM   #37
boxsterz

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonko The Sane

I tend to agree. A car is just a piece of metal, pick the one that makes you smile the most! A sports car is a vehicle you can take to the track in a pinch. Thus the dodge is a sports car. Snobs usually don't know the difference between a side draft carb or a down draft or what the specific benefits of OHC or what a hemi head are. That's why they have to rely on pedigree. But I digress....

A kid in a turbo neon (I heard his BOV earlier) tried to race me, so I made his day. He pulled on me from about 50-80. He got about a car length on me and I shut it down, hey who says I'm irresponsible! I gave him the thumbs up, and he have me a peace sign. Everything was cool. I'm sure he was quite happy with the kill, and went to bed with a smile on his face, and later told all his friends the next day how he destroyed a boxster. For me, I settled my curiosity and went to bed happy also. Love the box. Anyways, I respect much more the gearhead than the pretentious ignoramus no matter what he's driving.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:14 AM   #38

Cool Thought you might wnat to hear from someone who has owned both.

Well as I mentioned in the tittle, I once owned an SRT-4 and now own a Boxster My SRT-4 had some goodies to include a wet nitrous system, it did 13.5 in the quarter mile off the bottle at close to 4,000 feet elevation. Might have done 12 something with the bottle but i never got to time it. Now my boxster has a 3.6 997 engine ecu , headers, b&m short throw shifter, and full suspension. Aside from the aesthetic stuff. Yet still my SRT-4 was faster without the juice. I am aware that I am talking about strait line racing which is not what the Porsche is built for. Which is exactly the reason I own one. I want to be able to drive fast around the curves also. I know you can mod an SRT-4 to be good in the twisty, but then it's just out of it's element. Also I would be lying if I said I didn't get tired of guys in 350z's RX-8 Evo's and STI's telling me "yeah it's faster but it's still a neon" Besides the Sexy look of the car and the way it's built doesn't hurt either. I don't make more money now than I did when i had the SRT-4 I did the modesty thing for a while and got my kicks now it's my turn in the sun
Old 09-13-2007, 07:28 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz
A kid in a turbo neon (I heard his BOV earlier) tried to race me, so I made his day. He pulled on me from about 50-80. He got about a car length on me and I shut it down, hey who says I'm irresponsible! I gave him the thumbs up, and he have me a peace sign. Everything was cool. I'm sure he was quite happy with the kill, and went to bed with a smile on his face, and later told all his friends the next day how he destroyed a boxster. For me, I settled my curiosity and went to bed happy also.
boxsterz,

That is EXACTLY what happened to me yesterday, hence my question...

Ever since I got the Boxster and started autocrossing, I have gained a new found respect for a lot of cars that I never really used to consider.

The only vehicles I hate are minivans, everything else is OK in my book.

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 09-13-2007, 07:46 AM   #40
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by farewellregret
Well as I mentioned in the tittle, I once owned an SRT-4 and now own a Boxster My SRT-4 had some goodies to include a wet nitrous system, it did 13.5 in the quarter mile off the bottle at close to 4,000 feet elevation. Might have done 12 something with the bottle but i never got to time it. Now my boxster has a 3.6 997 engine ecu , headers, b&m short throw shifter, and full suspension. Aside from the aesthetic stuff. Yet still my SRT-4 was faster without the juice. I am aware that I am talking about strait line racing which is not what the Porsche is built for. Which is exactly the reason I own one. I want to be able to drive fast around the curves also. I know you can mod an SRT-4 to be good in the twisty, but then it's just out of it's element. Also I would be lying if I said I didn't get tired of guys in 350z's RX-8 Evo's and STI's telling me "yeah it's faster but it's still a neon" Besides the Sexy look of the car and the way it's built doesn't hurt either. I don't make more money now than I did when i had the SRT-4 I did the modesty thing for a while and got my kicks now it's my turn in the sun
Are you saying that you have a 2.5 or 2.7L engine with the ECU from a 997? Why?

Closed Thread