Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2007, 08:41 AM   #1

SRT4 vs. Boxster S

All i can say is.......LOL

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/boxster/0/05859b5f-dfa5-427c-bc2a-675dba0bf47f.htm

Old 05-31-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
boxsterz

Darn, I coulda had a Dodge

Old 05-31-2007, 12:37 PM   #3

Yeh, that's was my old car that got stollen. Not that one in the video, but same car. SRT-4 has a turbo which they don't mention in the video. I like my Boxster as far as looks go and the SRT-4 only got me into trouble street racing. I had spent ALLOT of money fixing it up and then someone stole it. 48hrs later they found it stripped to the frame. They even set the interior on fire. Cops said they do that sometimes to burn thier finger prints off anything they touch. My insurance covered me, but they grilled me with a million questions until they cut the check for what the car was worth. I kept all of my receits from every thing I ever bought for that car and they gave me an additional halft of what I put into the car. I don't miss the 4-doors on a sports car, but do miss the turbo power.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:40 PM   #4

nice car and autocrosses well. But isn't it still a neon?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Old 05-31-2007, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
nice car and autocrosses well. But isn't it still a neon?
Exactly. That's what everyone else said. I always said go ahead and laugh, just try to pass me up, they never could. I think the stupid name NEON is what ruins it. That's why dodge tried to change the name and stopped calling it that and gave it the SRT-4 badge. Then the turbo PT Cruiser came out and that ruined it for me because everyone knew it was the same engine as the SRT-4. Hell, even the chassi and frame are the same. Only the body is different. It was the 4-Doors that ruined it for me.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
I don't miss the 4-doors on a sports car, but do miss the turbo power.

hahaha... the SRT4? A sports car? I wouldn't give it that much credit. No offense to you, but it's a Neon that has 'factory aftermarket' stuff in it. It's a souped up econobox.

I always say the SRT4 is proof that you can't polish a turd, but apparently, you can make it go REAL FAST!

Yeah, they're fast, faster than my Boxster. Not sure if they handle worth a damn compared to a Box.. .but they are still a Neon.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
Old 05-31-2007, 01:22 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Everytime I see one while driving in my German cruiser (1997 S500 w/armor package) I just want to ram into it and see what happens.

Its always some punk kid with spikey hair revving their engine with an exhaust that sounds like fart at anything that passes them by.

Oh and they sure run quick when they see 7k+lbs steering right towards them! :troll:
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
Old 05-31-2007, 01:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
hahaha... the SRT4? A sports car? I wouldn't give it that much credit. No offense to you, but it's a Neon that has 'factory aftermarket' stuff in it. It's a souped up econobox.

I always say the SRT4 is proof that you can't polish a turd, but apparently, you can make it go REAL FAST!

Yeah, they're fast, faster than my Boxster. Not sure if they handle worth a damn compared to a Box.. .but they are still a Neon.
Ever hear of the ACR? Dodge had an ACR Neon that did very well at autocross events, finishing in the top 3 for its class for many years. That was when It was a 2-door. There was even a yearly charity event race shown on TV with celebrities racing these "Neons" with sport adjustable Koni suspension. Ever heard of Skip Barber Driving School? They use Neons still today to train thier drivers. It may not look it, but it IS considered a sports car by track enthusiasts. I still love my Porsche more.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:32 PM   #9

I dunno I drove my lady friend's Neon frequently and I'd sooner drive that then a corolla. Its actually a very nice car for a commuter. The new Honda Civic is nice too.

And although the Neon is not a sports car, it has had some very respectable results at the National level in SCCA Solo. I think the founder of EVO Autocross schools is a woman from Florida that beat allot of guys in her neon.

p.s.
When will the spikey hair fad ever end? Its like die already... it had to be at least 7 years ago that I first saw a pack of "Growing up Gotti" types at a PVD show here in NYC.

note the waxed eyebrows and lip gloss (it's David Bowie all over again).

Old 05-31-2007, 01:48 PM   #10
boggtown

Well, to end the debate right here and now... consider this. Take a toyota corolla, add a hypothetical factory turbo suspension ect... and you have the equivelent to an srt-4 (maybe better due to frame design, but I have no clue). Is a corolla a sports car, no. While it may be quicker, it is not faster. Its like you can enter a corner at 100 in a Box and sustain it, or go 120, drop down to 80, then speed up again to be even again. While the boxster is obviously the better car, the power to weight ratio is skewed torward the neon. Thats about it, it has more bounce per ounce... lol. Now add a boxster with the same power to weight ratio and we will see who wins then.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:48 PM   #11

[QUOTE=Perfectlap]I dunno I drove my lady friend's Neon frequently and I'd sooner drive that then a corolla. Its actually a very nice car for a commuter. The new Honda Civic is nice too.

And although the Neon is not a sports car, it has had some very respectable results at the National level in SCCA Solo. I think the founder of EVO Autocross schools is a woman from Florida that beat allot of guys in her neon.

p.s.
When will the spikey hair fad ever end? Its like die already... it had to be at least 7 years ago that I first saw a pack of "Growing up Gotti" types at a PVD show here in NYC.

note the waxed eyebrows and lip gloss (it's David Bowie all over again).

Thanks for mentioning the SCCA. I almost forgot about that too. Yes, it is a god car for the money it cost new. I'm speaking of the RT and SRT-4 models only. Not the Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler - Neon. There is the Base level NEON that came with a smaller engine and no suspension upgrades. That's what most people see on the street. Chrysler made 2 versions of this car. One for Mom and one for the Auto Cross enthusiast. If you look it up and reseach it, you will find both size engines. A 2.0 and a 2.4 Turbo.

And that was an insult to David Bowie!
Old 05-31-2007, 01:49 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
they had that one autocross edition one (forgot the name) but still....
you can make a lot of cars go fast, thats not the point.
for how much that car cost you can pretty much take a beat up civic and put a big block in it and itll go fast, or anything pretty much, but at the end of the day you are still driving that POS, and neon out of all the things.
a 4 door grocery getter with some crap on there to make it go fast... o well, im not the one drivig it
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
Old 05-31-2007, 02:01 PM   #13

If you get beaten in your Boxster at the track or autocross by a Neon SR whatever then its a sports car.
Of course this will never happen in a front wheel drive Civic so no need to even bring up the coffee can in the back.

I would love to know what these guys below drive...
The spikey hair set in Northern New Jersey won't be caught dead in anything that doesn't hail from Bavaria (BMW). Note the pic of the sail boat in the back...classy.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:05 PM   #14

Where did you find these pictures? These guys look like human clones!
Old 05-31-2007, 02:18 PM   #15

hey those are from perfectlap's facebook page.
Those are my BROS!!

just kidding...Google search Growing Up Gotti.
Can't believe this look never made a regular character appearance onto The Sopranos.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
If you get beaten in your Boxster at the track or autocross by a Neon SR whatever then its a sports car.
Of course this will never happen in a front wheel drive Civic so no need to even bring up the coffee can in the back.

I would love to know what these guys below drive...
The spikey hair set in Northern New Jersey won't be caught dead in anything that doesn't hail from Bavaria (BMW). Note the pic of the sail boat in the back...classy.

Dude, I've seen a Civic hatchback that would hang with a Dodge Viper. It was THAT fast. (turbocharged engine swap with nitrous) If it could HANDLE worth a darn... then yeah, you could probably be beat by it in an AX.

Does that a sports car make?

Not in my humble opinion.

(removed pic of douchebags)

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
Old 05-31-2007, 03:46 PM   #17

So how fast is that neon?? What's the 0-60 time, is it faster than the new 2007 3.4L Boxster S?

They just look kinda silly to me, but props to them if they are that fast. I would support the notion that going fast in a straight line doesn't define a sports car.

05 Touareg V8
Black
Old 05-31-2007, 04:17 PM   #18
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Why would you spend the cash to upgrade a neon to outdo a porsche?
You would spend less cash just buying a porsche.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Everytime I see one while driving in my German cruiser (1997 S500 w/armor package) I just want to ram into it and see what happens.
An armor plated S500??? Dude, just what kind of "toys" are you selling, anyway???
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Old 05-31-2007, 07:46 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
sports car ey?

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
Closed Thread