Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2007, 05:10 PM   #1

Windscreen And Windstop Pics

Does anyone have pics of where you put the foam tape on your windscreen and zip ties/fishing line on your headresr screens?

I will do the foam but the screen seems tight for room but it does squeek and rattle.

I am thinking of the silicone for the headrest screens instead of tying them in????

Old 05-27-2007, 05:34 PM   #2

My center windstop, the plexiglass piece never makes any noise. Fits in very snug. As for the plastic mesh that goes in the rollbars, I very rarely use them for two reasons.

1) I like the way the rollbars look without them better, and
2) The mesh inserts block my peripheral visibility when looking behind me when the top is up and somewhat when the top is down.
If I did like them I doubt I would use fishing line and especially not zip-ties to hold them in. That would look pretty bad. I'd go with a solution like the double sided tape in a way where you would not be able to see the tape and leave the mesh in all the time. Personally, I don't think the rollbar inserts make much difference with air turbulence anyway.
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:38 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

I bought a black sticky-backed felt sheet from Hobby Lobby. I then put a small tab of felt in all the locations that the shields contact the roll bar. This includes the rounded tab that fits into the latch for the center shield. The fit is much more secure and there is no more rattling.

The nice thing about the felt is that it can slide into place easily. Foam can tend to grab and roll up onto itself when you're trying to slide it against something.

Last edited by blue2000s; 05-27-2007 at 07:01 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:42 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i put a black ziptie to hold my hoop insets, you really cant see them.
i put only one per hoop. i put it on the side that is facing the outside of the car, the last hole, cant realyl see it at all. so if it were to fly off it will be held by the siptie in time to save it.
ill take a pic later on to show how i did it, pretty self-explanitory tho, and saves you money. (ask Nick )
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:39 AM   #5

Ziptie

I did as DJ did and used black zipties on the inside (close to the center of the car) of both screens. Ties are hardly visible at all and you have to look for them to tell they are there. Cheap security for those expensive screens from blowing away. Use what you are the most comfortable with but I would suggest some kind of security measure. My center plastic is tight and makes no noise so I don't mess with it.

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:32 AM   #6

I have a 1997 and the center windstop does not rattle. I have had to replace broken clips over the years.

I met 2 new local Boxster owners in the past 2 weeks. Both had purchased a 2001 and said it rattled. I inspected the clips. There are 2 clips on the clear plastic part, and 2 mating clips on the roll bars. Both cars had broken roll bar clips. On one car it was the left side and on the other car it was the right side. Years ago I saw one car were both sides were broken. I have seen cars where the owners used foam, but when I took the windstop out I showed the owner a broken clip.

If you do not know what to look for it is hard to tell if a clip is broken. You need an unbroken clip to compare.

So I would first check to see if one or more clips are broken before using foam.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #7

Thanks for the input! Your right Tool Pants, it took me a couple of months to realize the passenger roll bar clip was broken and I replaced it this week.

I ended up putting the soft side of some velcro on my headrest screens. That stopped the squeeking.

Sadly I went with the zip tie option. I've already had the passenger one fly out and luckily went back and found it. I wanted to use the black silicone but was concerned if ever a need came up to remove them.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
i put a black ziptie to hold my hoop insets, you really cant see them.
i put only one per hoop. i put it on the side that is facing the outside of the car, the last hole, cant realyl see it at all. so if it were to fly off it will be held by the siptie in time to save it.
ill take a pic later on to show how i did it, pretty self-explanitory tho, and saves you money. (ask Nick )
Yeah, a $0.05 zip tie to save a $165 piece of plastic makes a lot of sense.

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #9

Does anybody have a picture of an unbroken clip for the windstop? I just ordered a windstop and would like to be able to tell if my clips are broken.

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:37 PM   #10
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I don't use the the mesh inserts, and have notices no noise difference, plus it looks better, better vision, and I don't have to bother taking them in and out when the top is up or down. The glass piece fits great, but I heard about one guy who drilled a hole through the edge then ziptied it to the car. I might do that soon, just so it doesn't fly away on the freeway. Has that ever happened?
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:44 PM   #11

I agree on the inserts. I noticed today I had gotten used to looking through the roll bar when backing and turning. Now it seems like there is a blind spot.

I also noticed no real difference in having them back in wind and noise wise during my first drive with the new fix.

I didn't lose the middle screen, but my passenger one flew out which prompted me to having them out until the zip tie mod.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #12

This link has unbroken clips. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2764&hl=windstop+clips

This is a broken clip.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote