Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2007, 07:40 AM   #1

Few questions....PLZ HELP (updated +1 legal question)

Hi,
I am thinking of buying this 1997 boxster but i have few questions.

1. Dealer says its a factory AeroKit......is it?

2. On the website it says it has side air bags....i dont see it do you?

3. When i drove it, it felt like the car wasnt planted it was folowing every dip and bump on the road.....time for new shocks?

4. It has wood trim inside and its starting to peal, i was just wondering where i could buy new one, but not wood, just want to see the price and what im getting in to.

Thank you very much for your help

Last edited by blueillusion97; 05-30-2007 at 01:15 AM.
blueillusion97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueillusion97
1. Dealer says its a factory AeroKit......is it?
no; it's an aftermarket kit that added side skirts and winglets to the STOCK front bumper.

Quote:
2. On the website it says it has side air bags....i dont see it do you?
'97's don't have side airbags.

Quote:
3. When i drove it, it felt like the car wasnt planted it was folowing every dip and bump on the road.....time for new shocks?
can't say without driving it. could be tires, shocks, alignment, etc.

Quote:
4. It has wood trim inside and its starting to peal, i was just wondering where i could buy new one, but not wood, just want to see the price and what im getting in to.
junk yard. you can replace the wood trim w/ stock plastic for about $100

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:19 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
1) Bumper isnt correct for that year, Thats a boxster S bumper from a newer year but the wingets and side skirts are aftermarket

2) 1997 didnt come with side airbags... I know i own a 1997

3) Wood grain isnt that good looking, I would look for another boxster. Possibly one from a dealer that actually knows what is and isnt stock and if there are or arent side airbags. Not a good sign.

4) It can be worn tires if the car is steering into every crack or grove in the road. if the steering is really shakey on the road, could be alignment, worn shocks, and worn suspension bushings on your front and or rear track arms especially if theres alot of chattering in the suspension.

FYI, look under the engine for oil leaks, any oil leaks could be the dreaded Rear Main Seal leak... some people say its a factory engine defect that sometimes comes back in under 15k miles. Get a Point of Purchase Inspection of the car by your local porsche dealer before paying for the car, it costs about 235 bucks and the dealer will go through the entire car and point out anything wrong with it.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
1) Bumper isnt correct for that year, Thats a boxster S bumper from a newer year but the wingets and side skirts are aftermarket
the bumper is actually a correct 1997 bumper for a tiptronic car (plus aftermarket winglets)

Old 05-25-2007, 11:18 AM   #5

Ah your right, But we can agree that its not the original bumper that came with that car since its a manual... possibly an accident in its past.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 05-25-2007, 12:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Ah your right, But we can agree that its not the original bumper that came with that car since its a manual... possibly an accident in its past.
very good catch, my friend. me thinks you are correct; this has been hit.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #7

The car actualy has quite few parts replaced....updated head light, rear lights, and if it was hit it must have been a very small accident...because hood seems to be original with all the stickers....one way or another i inspected the car and it seemed very good...accept the shocks and the price was good...so its pretty much mine! my first porsche!!!! i will post pics at the end of a week when i come back to Caifornia
Old 05-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #8

how many miles and how much did she cost?
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
the bumper is actually a correct 1997 bumper for a tiptronic car (plus aftermarket winglets)
Auto transmission cars had a center opening in the bumper? News to me. This is a 97 Tip without the hole.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/st/stlmotorgroup1/b1porscheboxster97008.jpg

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/st/stlmotorgroup1/b1porscheboxster97002.jpg

Last edited by blue2000s; 05-26-2007 at 03:43 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #10

Yeah how many miles and what's the asking price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes_box
how many miles and how much did she cost?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 05-27-2007, 04:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Auto transmission cars had a center opening in the bumper? News to me. This is a 97 Tip without the hole.
man, i could have sworn the tips had a transmission cooler up there. i checked the PET and i'm completely wrong, the atf cooler is mounted near the transmission and looks like the oil cooler. i'm totally wrong about the bumper. my bad.

Last edited by insite; 05-27-2007 at 04:41 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:19 AM   #12

I know other members have pointed out that the '97 MY did not have side airbags. But should you look at a MY that did have side-airbags as an option here is what they look like in the door. They are very obvious.
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.

Last edited by 2000SoCalBoxsterS; 05-27-2007 at 05:29 AM.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:20 AM   #13

Smile

Get a PPI and have an expert look under the car. The front end action you describe could be something as small as bad tires or signs of a major wreck that has been restored.

Be very very careful with this car.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:07 PM   #14

I only have a holding deposit on this car so far. One of the members was nice enougth and will meet with me to look at the car next week. If there will be any suspicion of accident or other problems i might drop it. But if i will get it after all i will post more info about it here. The car has about 60,000 miles so i assume RMS problem should be out of it.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:32 AM   #15

Smile

Quote:
I only have a holding deposit on this car so far. One of the members was nice enougth and will meet with me to look at the car next week. If there will be any suspicion of accident or other problems i might drop it. But if i will get it after all i will post more info about it here. The car has about 60,000 miles so i assume RMS problem should be out of it.

Don't assume that the RMS is fine and don't buy this car without a PPI.

Having someone go to look at it is not suffficient to judge whether the car OK.

Please do a search on PPI and you will see what I am referring to.

Caveat Emptor.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:13 AM   #16

It turns out that the car actualy did have an accident years ago. "Right from impact with a guardrail, Airbad deployed" But it is not Salvaged. So im just wondering would Porsche Inspection be able to tell me how bad was the damage. O and one California law question....When i asked the dealer if a car had an accident or is salvaged..he sed "no the CarFax is clean". Well its not clean, it had an accident and it is on carFax. So the dealer has small holding deposit that is "non refundable", but it was given with an impression that the car had a clean carfax! Is that against the law for dealer to lie about accident and not refund deposit? Or just too bad so sad?
Old 05-30-2007, 01:47 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
It's possible that the repair could have been done by someone who knew how to D.I.Y. or maybe an insurance claim was never filed and that's why Carfax never picked it up. Try to look at the whole picture,not just going straight to the Carfax.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:37 AM   #18
Porscheectomy

Quote:
It turns out that the car actualy did have an accident years ago. "Right from impact with a guardrail, Airbad deployed" But it is not Salvaged. So im just wondering would Porsche Inspection be able to tell me how bad was the damage. O and one California law question....When i asked the dealer if a car had an accident or is salvaged..he sed "no the CarFax is clean". Well its not clean, it had an accident and it is on carFax. So the dealer has small holding deposit that is "non refundable", but it was given with an impression that the car had a clean carfax! Is that against the law for dealer to lie about accident and not refund deposit? Or just too bad so sad?
If the dealer says the carfax was clear but in fact, the carfax was not, you have justification that the car was mistrepresented. If you don't want the car, you could go and demand your money back with the carfax report in hand. He'll give you the deposit back. If not, take him to small claims court. There's no leg for him to stand on.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:45 AM   #19

Angry

Quote:

Go get your money back. If he declines to give it to you, simply tell him you will call the DMV and ask about his license status, whether he knows about the new cooling off period mandated by law in CA and the like.

That should get your money back.

DONT BUY THIS CAR! This is your final warning.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:18 AM   #20

I agree with BruceLee. Don't buy this car. If the dealer lied or didn't bother to look at the carfax you don't know what else may be wrong that he doesn't know or is not telling you. Don't worry, there are plenty of Boxsters for sale.

2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote