Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 02:31 AM   #1

did anyone do this to their muffler?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290113110235

it's seems to be telling the me that you get a more sporty sound by doing this mod. The reason I say this is cause I have it done to my car and not much of a difference in sound from stock.

clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:11 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Are you sure your welder did it correctly then? This mod is supposed to allow a partial bypass of the exhaust from the cats straight to the tips of the muffler. You should have gotten a very noticeable increase in sound.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:13 AM   #3

you did the mod.. if so was it loud like terrible or a good sound..?
Old 05-21-2007, 06:59 AM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb0099
you did the mod.. if so was it loud like terrible or a good sound..?
No, I did not do the mod myself, as I have a Dansk exhaust, but here is a video of the mod. He did also have the fabspeed cat bypass pipes installed, but you get the idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv_ljlNOe7M&mode=related&search=

Old 05-21-2007, 07:40 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
you should definitely feel the diff in sound, not so much performance.

ive been trying to this forever now, but cant seem to find anyone that can bend the pipe that small of a diameter.

its would be the same without the pipes if you were to just drill a hole in the pipes without connecting it to the tip(s)
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:27 AM   #6

do you think i should add the bypass pipes as well? Maybe that added to the sound. What do you think boxtaboy ?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:02 AM   #7
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
do you think i should add the bypass pipes as well? Maybe that added to the sound. What do you think boxtaboy ?
Honestly, if it's just for sound, I think the muffler modification is enough. A couple of weeks ago, I watched someone install the cat bypass pipes, but he kept his stock OEM muffler in place. There was virtually no sound increase after the install. Changing the muffler alone would've made a bigger sound difference. My Dansk exhaust with my factory cats in place was still louder than his setup.

Also, keep in mind that the cat bypass pipes are technically illegal to install (even if you pass emmissions testing), as altering your emmissions system in any way is not permitted, and carries serious fines if noticed. If all you are looking for is race car like sound, just buy a Borla, GHL, or B&B cat back exhaust. That'll do it.

Or, just modify your muffler to a bypass design. The sound will be noticeably different.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #8

so like my orginal post where the two pipes go into the tip is good enough? That isn't illegal is it? I am going to have the place look at my exhaust again and see what they can do.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:57 AM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
so like my orginal post where the two pipes go into the tip is good enough? That isn't illegal is it? I am going to have the place look at my exhaust again and see what they can do.
Modifying your exhaust after the cats is fine, so your muffler mod is no problem. Changing the muffler itself is no problem either. As long as you don't mess with the cats, you're fine from the legal standpoint.

I am thinking your muffler shop didn't really do the muffler bypass correctly. If they actually made pipes that go from the pipe connecting the cat to the muffler tips, the sound increase would be definitely noticeable by you.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:40 PM   #10

i think the guy who did the work made have not welded it good enough i think i might have a leak in what of the points of contact. I will keep you posted on what happens.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:51 AM   #11
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
you should definitely feel the diff in sound, not so much performance.

ive been trying to this forever now, but cant seem to find anyone that can bend the pipe that small of a diameter.

its would be the same without the pipes if you were to just drill a hole in the pipes without connecting it to the tip(s)
Btw, although I haven't seen anyone do this yet, so can't confirm for sure, you don't need to actually run pipes all the way to the tips. You can just have them weld a smaller u-pipe that bypasses a baffle in the factory muffler. Here is a picture of the factory newer 2004+ Porsche Sports Exhaust (PSE), without the exterior sebring bypass pipes that the pre-04 PSEs have. The extra smaller u-pipe is in clear view. This is what provides the extra sound in the PSE.