Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to hk987
05 "S' 987 breakdown...so upset. maybe swap to 3.4L?

Dear all ... used to drive a 986 and recently bought a second hand 2005 boxster S 987. Couple days later theres some cranking/coughing noise from the engine and I took it to the Factory Service centre in Hong Kong.

The Manager said that its a "typical engine problem" experienced with many 987 and 997 and results in the engine to be replaced under warranty. I have yet to see the full report and diagnosis of the problem in plain english - however since the engine is to Air-freighted in from Germany on the factory's cost, I thoguht it would be silly to argue against a brand new engine swap. Even though this may really affect future resale value.

Anyway my question is... do 987's realy breakdown that easy?? Its only done 9000KMS on the clock. Im certainly upset as it seems like I bought a lemon (cars arent cheap around here unfortunately).

Secondly...any friends here experienced this problem? Im gona call up to see if they can swap the 07spec 3.4L instead of the 3.2, will they ever allow that?

Cheers...

Old 05-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
bmussatti

I don't think this is very common.

I don't think the new engine will hurt resale...may even help.

I don't think Porsche will "give" you a 3.4L engine.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I don't think this is very common.

I don't think the new engine will hurt resale...may even help.

I don't think Porsche will "give" you a 3.4L engine.
thanks for the advice...
i want to get a sports exhaust but im worried they are going to void warranty. the stock exhaust is realy too quiet for me.

with regards to resale value.. HK is a weird place. for many sports cars you acutally get LESS money for modified/upgraded cars. if u have the time, we usualy strip the car before we sell it...!!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:35 PM   #4

Don't know about in Hong Kong, but in the US, if you change a part ( like the exhaust), the rest of the car is still under warranty.

And yeah, they won't give you a different engine if they are going to replace yours. I'd say take what they put in it and be happy. Be even more happy it was under warranty and you don't have to pay for it.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:02 PM   #5

This would actually be the first 987 I've heard of that's actually blown an engine. Wish my engine would blow up--I have 28,000 miles, could use a free new one.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnycool
this happened alot on the first 986 2.5's, i think you either get a great one or a lemon, it's as simple as that!! resale should be fine (you got 9000K for free!! :dance: )
ALWAYS keep your eye on your opponent....AND your temp gauge! (b.lee 1973)
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:47 PM   #7

It would be nice if they let you pay the difference between the 3.2 and 3.4 so you could get the extra HP/TQ if it was cost effective.

Jeff
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson95
It would be nice if they let you pay the difference between the 3.2 and 3.4 so you could get the extra HP/TQ if it was cost effective.

Jeff

Mr Factory Manager called back. explained (sounded like BS) that if I had bought the car brand new from the factory they could replace a higher-spec engine with me paying the diference, can even drop in a 3.6L. but since I bought it as "the second owner" they will only replace the 3.2L.

...4 weeks...%@(*#^(
Old 05-11-2007, 05:40 AM   #9

Wow That Sucks!
chgolatin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:24 AM   #10

This is not unheard of. The box engine has an issue with Intermediate shaft failures. Sounds like that is what you have.

Design flaw like the RMS leak.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:59 AM   #11

Out of curiosity, do you know how much the "difference" would be that you would have to pay to go with the 3.6?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
Out of curiosity, do you know how much the "difference" would be that you would have to pay to go with the 3.6?
he didnt say, he said its not a formal thing, i think maybe if you're a well known client apparently the sales people can organize something. that would be kickass if you could though. sometimes i get sick of 911 owners looking down on a well balanced car. in fact around here you can buy a 5 yr old 911 carerra-4 convertible, with the same money im paying for a 1.5 yr old 987 S. it may sound silly but i really think the boxster looks better...
Old 05-12-2007, 07:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
This would actually be the first 987 I've heard of that's actually blown an engine.
Hi,

I can point you to 6 or 7 more documented instances of the M96/23, 24 Engines failing.

There's no reason to believe that it's any more reliable mechanically than the previous M96 variants - no substantive changes were made to the Engine or it's design. Essentially, it was massaged to produce more Power, but it was not improved...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-12-2007 at 07:09 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:34 PM   #14

I didn't mean to imply that it was bullet-proof, I was just saying that it was the first 987 engine that I'd heard of that had blown up.  Haven't seen any on the sites that I frequent.

Not too many bullet-proof engines out there by any manufacturer. One thing's for sure, I don't see any epidemic with the latest series of motors and that's somewhat reassuring as long as the trend continues.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:46 PM   #15

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply that it was bullet-proof, I was just saying that it was the first 987 engine that I'd heard of that had blown up.  Haven't seen any on the sites that I frequent.

Not too many bullet-proof engines out there by any manufacturer. One thing's for sure, I don't see any epidemic with the latest series of motors and that's somewhat reassuring as long as the trend continues.
Hi,

You're kidding yourself... they aren't any better, and in fact worse, than the M96/20 engines in terms of reliablity due to the improved Intermediate Shaft...

Happy Motoring,... Jim '99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:37 AM   #16

Quote:

Actually, there are plenty of engines that do not grenade like the Porsches.

And, they have been doing it since 1997.

Lets not sugar coat this issue, it is real.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

You're kidding yourself... they aren't any better, and in fact worse, than the M96/20 engines in terms of reliablity due to the improved Intermediate Shaft...

Happy Motoring,... Jim '99
Look out, folks, here comes The Porsche Lords!

Why do you insist on trying to say "OH YOU'RE WRONG NO MATTER WHAT". I swear you and Jim just LIVE to beat down on anyone here that posts Incorrect Information!!!!!

I came from Mitsubishi Eclipse land, where we had motors grenading every other week in our clubs due to crank walk. The problem with Porsche engines is nothing in comparison, and I hold absolutely zero fear of it. Go ahead and save this post as a bookmark for when my engine blows in the future, I know y'all will relish that.

In addition, when I think of all the crap I've put up with on race courses due to under-engineered parts failure, recent Porsche quality looks like Jesus himself.

If I needed a bulletproof engine, I'd have bought something with an LS1 in it.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:04 AM   #18

Smile

If I needed a bulletproof engine, I'd have bought something with an LS1 in it.

BTW-Jim's opinion is as valid as yours.

I am not sure why it annoys you so much but that is for you to work out.

The fact is, the two design flaws in the Box engine are common knowledge among Porsche folks. They have been written about in Excellence magazine in the tech section.

The Box is a very fine car indeed and there is no reason to lie about its faults which are few and far between. Sad thing is Porsche's refusal to fix them.

PS- I have not heard good thinks about the Mitsu engines but never had one so I don't know.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #19

Well, I don't need to pull a Rodin to work out why I'm annoyed--it's because he always posts as if his opinion is God's own truth. Opinions can be given without making it sound as if you're making a decree. It's not too hard to make a nice, personable post that is also informative, y'know.

Probably just an internet thing, some people don't know how to sound like humans. Mind you, I'm not saying he's wrong (not that I always agree with him, but in this case I don't know much about porsche history; I'm still not living in fear), I'm just saying he's annoying.

I come here to converse with like-minded enthusiasts regardless of experience, not to get gonged off the stage by some grumpus waving the Porsche Jeopardy board game around, or to watch it happen to anyone else.

Happy Motoring,... Eric '05
Old 05-13-2007, 09:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
The Box is a very fine car indeed and there is no reason to lie about its faults which are few and far between. Sad thing is Porsche's refusal to fix them.
Well, I don't know--I'd say that Porsche is pretty accommodating with their warrantees, in my experience, although you have to rattle the cage a bit. If the engine's out of warranty I don't expect them to replace it if it fails. If they've replaced it for the same failure a bunch of times during warranty, then of course we have something to talk about. I don't know the history with these engines, I know about RMS but that doesn't seem like a catastrophic failure to me.

As for Mitsubishi, specifically the 4G63, it can take a lot of punishment, but it's not easy to keep cool under boost, and the 95-97 engines had a MASSIVE problem with crank walk that Mitsubishi wouldn't fess up to. Other than that, and the glass trannies, not a bad piece of machine to work with. I've helped race countless of these things over the past five to ten years in rally, track and [sanctioned] street races. Open Track Challenge, California Rally Series, LA Street Race, Gran Prix de Tijuana, etc. Fun cars, but a pain in the ass to keep running.