Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 10:43 AM   #21

My neighbor had a Mustang LX with a 5 point O... and when I got the Boxster, he asked me "what does that thing have.... a 2 litre 4 banger." I just smiled and told him, "Naw this is the one with the 3.2 6 cylinder."

He's a nice guy, but sure doesn't think past the Blue Oval.

MikeBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:05 AM   #22

We have been having a lot of work done on the house recently, and last week, two different workmen who were there (not affiliated) said to me, “is that your Porsche? I prefer the 911.” The first time it happened, I just rolled my eyes and directed the guy to the rock wall I wanted him to replace. The next day when the deck refinisher guy said the same thing, I asked him if that is the car he drives. Apparently, he opted for a 2003 base Tundra instead.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #23

I was at the famous weekly Sunday Long Island CapTree car guys meet-up. It was a beautiful day and there were about 500 cars there of every kind including: Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Lotus, Astin Martin, Porsches of every year, Corvettes and classic muscle cars. My Boxster S was parked among these magnificent cars and I was feeling very humble until a young kid about 10 years old kept walking around my car looking at it and then said to me "Mr you have a really nice car". I said thank you, it's not as nice as most of the cars here but thanks. Made me feel really great.

Last edited by 2000SoCalBoxsterS; 05-07-2007 at 11:12 AM.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:09 AM   #24

I had just finished washing the car one day last summer when the three little boys from the apartment downstairs went running around the corner of the building making a lot of noise when they came to a dead stop right in front of the car.

Their eyes were wide open and one of them let out a soft "wow" to break their silence.

...And then they went running on around the other side of the building yelling and hollering.

Those few seconds of silence from the otherwise loud boys were the best comments I've had.
fishage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #25

Send a message via AIM to [z0ne] Send a message via MSN to [z0ne]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
We have been having a lot of work done on the house recently, and last week, two different workmen who were there (not affiliated) said to me, “is that your Porsche? I prefer the 911.” The first time it happened, I just rolled my eyes and directed the guy to the rock wall I wanted him to replace. The next day when the deck refinisher guy said the same thing, I asked him if that is the car he drives. Apparently, he opted for a 2003 base Tundra instead.
That's why you're doing whatever you do (I'd assume a white-collar profession) and he's a construction worker.
[z0ne] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:50 AM   #26

On the good side:
I gave my wife's Professor (Medical School) a ride and afterwards he told his wife that he really liked the ride in my Ferrari.
Obviously not a car guy, but still a very nice compliment

On the bad side:
I gave a guy who came in for a job interview a ride to go to lunch and he kept on boasting about his BMW 330i. At the end of the ride he asked me: is this a 2 liter engine (and yes he was serious)
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
On the bad side:
I gave a guy who came in for a job interview a ride to go to lunch and he kept on boasting about his BMW 330i. At the end of the ride he asked me: is this a 2 liter engine (and yes he was serious)
I guess he didn't get the job.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:34 PM   #28

Took my car down to a friend's shop on Saturday. It's a local, family owned place that a lot of hot rodders frequent. We had the car inside when a guy driving a Chevy Dually tow-rig came in, carrying a melted HEI distributor.

He said "Who's Porsche"?

I said "Mine".

He said "Hmmmm, the Porsche for guys who can't afford a real Porsche".

I said "No, the Porsche for guys who can afford any Chevrolet they want, but have more sense".

My friends snickered and he stalked off.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 05-07-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #29

At the local ST. Louis PCA DE I had a few ask me if it was a CGT or a CGT body kit. Nope just the Aero Kit 1

Another time I had a guy ask at the parts store of all places ask me "who makes Porsche now Dodge?".

A few have asked if it was a ferrari or just plain asked what the heck is it. It got so bad for a while I thought about putting the badge back on the back. Then I thought......NAH!

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote