Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #1

987 Wind stop

Does anyone know where to get a less expensive plastic windstop? $400 from prosche dealership for a piece of plastic is too much. I did do a search on the forum, the net and clicked on Jay Senoff's ad, but still nothing. Thanks!

n4ally2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #2

How about $49?

Check it out. Ask the seller how close to "factory" it is first of course. Can't beat the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSCHE-BOXSTER-WIND-STOP-GLASS-WITH-POUCH_W0QQitemZ330115053704QQihZ014QQcategoryZ4261 2QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
conradtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #3

Thanks. Saw that, but that is for an 04 and earlier boxster. I have an 06 boxster. Will it still fit?
Old 04-29-2007, 09:05 PM   #4

It will not. The 987 windstop is 100% different than the 986.

Keep watching eBay though--every once in a while someone will sell the entire windstop kit (brackets, mesh rollbar inserts, plastic windscreen, bag) on there. Suncoast and Brandywine often sell parts there at a little bit of a discount too.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:43 PM   #5

thanks. I will keep an eye out on ebay.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:54 AM   #6

Hi there,

I'm on the verge of receiving my 2007 987 S, and ordered it without the windstop as I saw Brandywine selling them for $325, which is $50 less than as an option from Porsche, and I figure I can pull it off when I give the car back (3-year lease) and sell it then and save even more money. Brandywine will sell it to you for $325 directly (advertised price in magazines, as well as their Buy-it-Now price when they list them on eBay, but it's not too often for some reason), $10 shipping anywhere in the US. Here's their number:

610-886-1000

I never had any luck emailing them so definitely best to call. It's the best price I've found. I received mine last week, hopefully the car will be getting here soon too so I can install the damn thing and enjoy the nice weather!

Cheers,

Emmanuel
ejmc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:25 AM   #7

Emmanuel,

Thanks for the info. That is the cheapest I have seen from anywhere. I will defo give them a call. BTW, does the wind stop comes with the two mesh triangles that go behind the seats?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmc11
Hi there,

I'm on the verge of receiving my 2007 987 S, and ordered it without the windstop as I saw Brandywine selling them for $325, which is $50 less than as an option from Porsche, and I figure I can pull it off when I give the car back (3-year lease) and sell it then and save even more money. Brandywine will sell it to you for $325 directly (advertised price in magazines, as well as their Buy-it-Now price when they list them on eBay, but it's not too often for some reason), $10 shipping anywhere in the US. Here's their number:

610-886-1000

I never had any luck emailing them so definitely best to call. It's the best price I've found. I received mine last week, hopefully the car will be getting here soon too so I can install the damn thing and enjoy the nice weather!

Cheers,

Emmanuel
You have to drill into the rollbar to install the brackets to mount the windblocker, so removing it and selling the kit later probably isn't a feasible option. That, and when you sell the car I highly doubt you're going to take the time to remove it and ebay that particular part. Just get the person who buys the car to throw in an extra $100 for the windblocker and you'll be fine.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4ally2
Emmanuel,

Thanks for the info. That is the cheapest I have seen from anywhere. I will defo give them a call. BTW, does the wind stop comes with the two mesh triangles that go behind the seats?
Hi, yep, sure does. Comes with those two triangular pieces, the glass middle (with soft protective case), the three attaching brackets, and even two sets of rivets (4 altogether) to attach them to the rollbar.

Most people say that the factory rollbar has the holes pre-drilled, which makes sense to me, so all it should take to install is to remove the rollbar padding (which I heard is a challenge in and of itself, have to pry really hard), use the rivet gun to affix the three brackets, put the rollbar padding back on, and fit the triangles and glass piece and you're done. I'll report back when I actually *do* it, but that's how it should go! Will snap some pics too if it can be of help to anyone else.

Last edited by ejmc11; 04-30-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:21 PM   #10

Emmanuel,
Definitely looking forward to pictures when you install them. Thanks in advance!

BTW, did you see Jay Senoff's Wind Blocker? Have you tried those? I saw some other forum that the mesh triangle is noisy + it could come loose and fall out if you drive over 100 Mph. Or is that fixed in the 987?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:31 PM   #11

The Windstop prices are absurd

It's too bad Porsche has to rip people off for that small piece of plexi-glass. It was a $367 option on my car. Just remember not to leave it on if you leave your car with the top down lest somebody appropriate it for themselves.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #12

haha, my bf said that porsche only sells you half the car. The other half must be purchase separately...through all the accessories!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:40 PM   #13

Yeah, I always say that everything's an option on a porsche. "Oh, you want a steering wheel? Sure, we can get you one of those..."

Considering that they want to charge $350 or so for a chrome tailpipe, $400 or so for the windstop doesn't surprise me.

And no, I've never had any problems with anything popping off, so far at speeds up to 115 MPH.

I don't know if those plexiglass additions over the mesh grilles inserted into the roll bars would make much difference. I've considered finding out, but don't really care.

What I notice is that all the wind I feel now is mostly on the top of my head. If you drive an SLK, the first thing you notice is that the top of your head isn't getting blown around nearly as much as in a Boxster.

Not that that's a good reason to get the SLK.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:11 PM   #14

hehe, I am quite sure that porsche did its own demographics studies and found that if the owner can front the money for the expensive car, they can afford expensive accessories. :ah: However, that piece of plastic is like $1. I am going to have to go to China and see if I can get some knock offs! lol This is the reason why they are the most profitable car company in the world. Instead of keep getting sticker shock, I think I have to accept reality! Porsche...please take more of my money lol
Old 05-01-2007, 06:44 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
thats why we have headlights stolen, wind blocker stolen, insert hoop mesh things stolen, centercaps stolen...people jack them and resell
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:19 AM   #16

one side of my wind stop hinge was broken when i bought the car. broken side popped while driving and almost flew out at about 50mph (picture me one hand on wheel and the other holding the windstop). call me crazy, but instead of spending $350 plus for a new one, i crazy glued that sucker since i don't mind having the windstop when top is up. someone who wants to jack it might have a bit of hard time. haha. i can truely say my porsche is glued.
spark00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:08 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by spark00
one side of my wind stop hinge was broken when i bought the car. broken side popped while driving and almost flew out at about 50mph (picture me one hand on wheel and the other holding the windstop). call me crazy, but instead of spending $350 plus for a new one, i crazy glued that sucker since i don't mind having the windstop when top is up. someone who wants to jack it might have a bit of hard time. haha. i can truely say my porsche is glued.
i never take mine off either, soft top, no top, or hardtop, its clear and theres no point of messing w that thing, it will jsut start rattling all over the place, which can be so anoying since its right by your ear.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #18

Wind Deflector How-To

As promised, here's my little how-to on installing the wind deflector kit. Latest version can be found at:

http://twingles.com/boxster/wind_deflector/

As discussed in various threads, removing the rollbar padding is a real challenge. It's on there REALLY tight.
I ended up using both a combination of a large flat-head screwdriver with a towel wrapped around it, a very wide
strange metal tool I found in the garage with a towel wrapped around it, and a lot of pulling strength.
I couldn't take any photos as I was actually removing the rollbar padding as I was all alone, but my technique
was far from perfect, I made a little visible crease mark in the center rollbar padding which you can see in the
photos. Other than that, the install went perfectly, and I took a number of pics along the way. I ordered the
whole kit for $325 plus $10 shipping from Brandywine Porsche in PA (pricing as of 2007-05-14).

Good news -- the holes are pre-drilled in my 2007 S. It makes sense that they would be, but there doesn't seem
to be a wide consensus on the matter, my guess is that all the 987's at least are pre-drilled. This is a picture
with the driver's side padding removed, and you can see the small hole in the top left corner of the hoop.

This is the center padding removed, also pre-drilled with two holes for the center bracket to attach the windstop.
Here you can see where my prying actually de-formed the padding a bit.. sigh.

All rollbar padding removed.

There are 4 rivets included with the kit. The two black ones with the shorter ends are used for the center bracket,
and are attached directly to the center rollbar padding.

These are the two different kinds of rivets -- top black one is for the center bracket, the longer silver one is
used for the side brackets (that attach to the top of the windstop).

Center bracket riveted to the center rollbar padding, only fits one way.

Top bracket attached to the passenger side hoop.

All brackets attached and deflector test-fitted -- perfect fit.

Rollbar padding re-installed (just push them on real tight), along with the two triangular pieces that go inside
the hoops.

View from the rear.

All in all the install took my about half an hour. The only special tool needed was the rivet gun. Definitely worth
saving a couple hundred bucks over what a dealer would charge to install. Hope this helps some people, feel free
to ask any questions. And the test drive was awesome -- the kit definitely makes a big difference, and am very
happy I have it now.