Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2007, 12:38 PM   #1

"It's too small"

This was about a month ago but I wanted to ask you guys anyway.

I look all over for a decent car wash in the Albany area. Find some place. I was like, well, whatever.

As I begin to pull up, one of the guys walks out and yells to me, "It's too small."

I replied, "It's too small?"

"Yeah."

Now one thing you never tell another man is that it's too small and if you must, at least apologize for the inconvenience.

I have since found a precision wash that doesn't even touch your car, but wanted to ask if any of you have experienced this...

To be honest, I think the guy was bullsh^tting and just didn't like my car for some reason.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:47 PM   #2

Was this some sort of "automatic" wash? If so, I think the manual discourages auto washes due to the rag top. If this was a "detailing" shop that is more than your standard, drive-through car wash... that is very odd. Personally, I wash my own car. Since it is "so small" it doesn't take too much time unless you really want to do all sorts of detailing. Not sure if it is just me, but there are few odd enjoyments with home ownership that I never expected -- BBQing and washing the car in the driveway.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #3

I wash my own car most of the time but since I only have an apartment here in Albany, I don't have the resources.

It was a drive-through one.

It's never happened to me before. I mean, I guess I'm the only guy driving around a sports car...
Old 04-24-2007, 02:04 PM   #4

Another concern with automatic washes is the side vents, you have to be wary of water getting into the intake. Also true even when you manually wash it.

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #5

Perhaps the carwash guy was referring to the 2.7 engine...

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
HAHAH, THAT made me laugh, but i have a 2.5 but my 6.0 makes up for that .

Last edited by blkboxster; 04-24-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987

Oh.. that was harsh..

Old 04-25-2007, 08:24 AM   #8

Don't take this the wrong way, but you seem to post a lot of threads that discuss what other people say about your car. You don't really care what they think, do you? Or is it really making you insecure?

If so, you've definitely bought the wrong car. A Magnum on 20" dubs would get you more positive attention and comments about your humongous phallus than a Boxster. The people that are making comments are not the type that would appreciate your "baby Porsche".
Old 04-25-2007, 08:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos
Not sure if it is just me, but there are few odd enjoyments with home ownership that I never expected -- BBQing and washing the car in the driveway.
Quoted for truth.
Autocrosses: 22
Track Days: 1
http://www.crife.net
986 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #10
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Don't take this the wrong way, but you seem to post a lot of threads that discuss what other people say about your car. You don't really care what they think, do you? Or is it really making you insecure?

If so, you've definitely bought the wrong car. A Magnum on 20" dubs would get you more positive attention and comments about your humongous phallus than a Boxster. The people that are making comments are not the type that would appreciate your "baby Porsche".
lol,thats true
Old 04-25-2007, 11:35 AM   #11

"Don't take this the wrong way, but you seem to post a lot of threads that discuss what other people say about your car. You don't really care what they think, do you? Or is it really making you insecure?"

Likewise, I don't think: "I mean, I guess I'm the only guy driving around a sports car..."

Rather, people that own the sports cars either do them themselves or pony up the $150+ to have it professionally detailed.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #12

Well, if he lives in the Manhattan area, I can see how he might not have room to wash it himself. Apartment/Condo life makes that difficult.

I wash my car myself. It's got swirl marks all over now. It's overdue for a professional detailing.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:51 PM   #13

Quote:

What..?

The thread is about the car wash not being able to accommodate my car. Everything else you assumed is just that; an assumption. I tried to make it into a little story... that's all.

I have a home in Westchester county, NY but I am there only 3 days a week. The rest of the time I am in Albany at an apartment and the other day I would say I am busy driving (11,800 miles on her already...)

Last edited by Bavarian Motorist; 04-25-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Bavarian Motorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:03 PM   #14

Too small? That definetely can't be the reason unless the guy knew something was wrong with his car wash and smallER cars were having trouble in it.

The Boxster is small, but it's not freaking CRAZY small or something.

Now, I think the guy maybe didn't want the liability of a Porsche in his car wash.

OR, maybe he was messing with you and referring to the size of your penis because of the car you drive. After all, he did say "too small!" not... "your car is too small!"
Old 04-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #15

Yeah, it's not THAT small.

Neither is my .........

Last edited by Brucelee; 04-26-2007 at 07:12 AM.
Bavarian Motorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
What..?

The thread is about the car wash not being able to accommodate my car. Everything else you assumed is just that; an assumption. I tried to make it into a little story... that's all.

I have a home in Westchester county, NY but I am there only 3 days a week. The rest of the time I am in Albany at an apartment and the other day I would say I am busy driving (11,800 miles on her already...)
My apologies if I read too much into it. I'm just saying that this isn't the first thread I've read from you that commented about what someone said about your car. It made you sound like you were fishing for reassurances. My bad if that is not the case.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:06 AM   #17

Quote:
My apologies if I read too much into it. I'm just saying that this isn't the first thread I've read from you that commented about what someone said about your car. It made you sound like you were fishing for reassurances. My bad if that is not the case.

No problem.

I get crap handed to me all the time about my car (not in person) and it only bothers me to the extent that people are very ignorant, but it never made me second-guess my decision.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:16 AM   #18

Was it the type of car wash where you put it into neutral and the conveyor belt type thing pulls your car through?

If so, he might have meant that the car was too low to fit up onto the conveyor (you often have to drive up and onto it). Several of my friends have this same problem, so they have to go to drive in/park/wash rotates around the car/touchless type car washes. Though, I've never had a problem with mine.
Autocrosses: 22
Track Days: 1
http://www.crife.net
986 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:27 AM   #19

Automatic car wash issues.

Swirl marks

Clear coat wear

Harsh detergents

Water pressure pushes water where you don't want it.

Porsche are very low, bad things can happen to their undercarriage

Mirrors get hammered

Soft tops get damaged

Wheels can get trashed big time.

There must be more.

Don't go there, please, your car will thank you.

IMO.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:34 AM   #20

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Automatic car wash issues.

Wheels can get trashed big time.

Living proof right here of the wheel/rim damage, went there acouple times and when i finally washed my car on my own, i noticed my drivers side wheels had curb rash.... which is weird since the drivers side is no where near the curb when i park.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote