Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 04:25 PM   #1

Rolex 24 Porsche Winner Randy Pobst (old post on going fast)

Randy first began competing in 1977, at age nineteen: "I saw an advertisement for the Indian River Sports Car Club autocross event at a local mall in Melbourne, Florida. First, I just went and watched two events. The third event I took my Datsun 510 out to try my hand at it, and I won, beating the class champion."

From autocross to Porsche Cup Randy talks about his ah-ha momment:

http://www.randypobst.com/index.cfm?template=news&form_news_article=1&news_id=1762

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #2

Thanks for posting...his article really hit home.

I had the chance last year to attend a day of advanced road racing at Pocono with the Bertil Roos Racing School just days after picking up my new car (98 Boxster).
At the time I assumed it may have been my only opportunity to drive an F2000 Race car so I drove at 110% as he described and lost control too many times to count trying to push the car to the limit with basically a few hours of instruction under my belt...again I was thinking it would be my only chance to drive one of these things so I wanted to go as fast as possible for a newbie. Well I think I may have been the fastest of the first timers but not without spinning more often than any of them.

Well it looks like I'll be back there again this year so I am looking forward to another day of driving. However this time I am planning a little less time with the ragged,(all be it fun) go cart style power sliding and more time exercising what is actually being taught, lending more to the theme of Randy's thoughts.
Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear

Last edited by Boxter; 04-09-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #3

The bit about the car being in a constant drift has gotten me thinking as well.

Throughout braking, turning, and most of the corner exit, the car should be in a slight drift

Never really thought about it that way. I guess when you can 'steer' the car in a controlled drift, corner after corner, you really have learned to keep the tires at the limit 100% of the time.

Reminds me of another story I heard about Jackie Stewart and recent F1 driver driving together in a two seater at Goodwood. "Stewart seemed to be taking forever to change gears and steer, no way man this old guy has lost the plot!". But then he looked up at the timer and Sir Jackie was several tenths quicker than the younger pro.

Seemed crazy to me when I read that because even at that level (F1) drivers are in a rush to go fast. Seems to be it all comes down to minimizing mistakes by taking your time.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-09-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #4

I agree it was absolutely the essence and point of his article I thought.

...again its almost laughable that I am commenting on this with my experience but it would make sense that a more calculated approach should directly equate to better lap times.

Easier said than done but I'll certainly attempt to apply it when I get the chance.

Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote