Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 06:20 AM   #1

2ndary Catbypass Pipes Worth it????

Are the 986 Boxster MAXFLO 2ndary Catbypass Pipes offered by Fabspeed any good???
I have my 2002 Boxster S on jackstands because i am working on a PSE system for my car and since I have the car up in the air I was considering replacing the 2ndary Cats with this kit from Fabspeed. I know I am not going to gain 100HP but overall does it help on throttle response??? Anyone here done this mod????
Thanks
LRR

LuisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisR
Are the 986 Boxster MAXFLO 2ndary Catbypass Pipes offered by Fabspeed any good???
I have my 2002 Boxster S on jackstands because i am working on a PSE system for my car and since I have the car up in the air I was considering replacing the 2ndary Cats with this kit from Fabspeed. I know I am not going to gain 100HP but overall does it help on throttle response??? Anyone here done this mod????
Thanks
LRR
I had them for my Cayenne Turbo when I had that vehicle, and they make a monumental difference on a turbo car with high output. The secondary cats are not necessary and slow the flow, so even with smaller output, naturally aspirated cars, it makes a difference.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #3

If you are getting the PSE system, then the fabspeed bypass pipes would be a waste of time and money. To my understanding the PSE has it's own cat bypass system which is what makes it louder in sport mode.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
If you are getting the PSE system, then the fabspeed bypass pipes would be a waste of time and money. To my understanding the PSE has it's own cat bypass system which is what makes it louder in sport mode.
well, let me explain a little. I am not installing the OEM PSE from porsche, I am modifying the muffler and I am connecting two by-pass pipes to the muffler.
Here are some pics of my Saturday event.
I definitely recommend removing the rear bumper first if you want to remove the muffler, it makes your life a lot simpler!!!

Also, could some one tell me what the hell is that wire on the left side of the rear for????
Thanks
LRR
Old 04-09-2007, 11:50 AM   #5

I Installed the Fabspeed bypass pipes I did notice better throttle response and the sound is better. I found mine used the quality is great and good fit took about an hour or so but I have access to lift.
Joe T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:38 PM   #6

I installed the cat bypass along with the PSE exhaust. Sound is incredible. In town I rarely turn the stereo up because I like the sound soo much. I doubt it really generates much HP. The product itself is very well made with a beautiful finish on it and is easy to install.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisR
Also, could some one tell me what the hell is that wire on the left side of the rear for????
Thanks
LRR
Emergency release cable for the rear trunk.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #8

..."Also, could some one tell me what the hell is that wire on the left side of the rear for????"
Thanks
LRR

Hi,

It's an Emergency Trunk Latch Release Cable - PN# 996.512.017.01...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Ooops! Sorry TP - didn't see your post...
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:26 AM   #9

Thanks guys for the answer about the emergency trunk, I thought about it but i wasn't sure.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #10

hey LuisR, do you have a link to any instructions on removing the rear bumper?? and any complete for the exhaust? im about to tackle this project next weekend...

jackhoff is offline   Reply With Quote