986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   2ndary Catbypass Pipes Worth it???? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10555)

LuisR 04-09-2007 06:20 AM

2ndary Catbypass Pipes Worth it????

Are the 986 Boxster MAXFLO 2ndary Catbypass Pipes offered by Fabspeed any good???
I have my 2002 Boxster S on jackstands because i am working on a PSE system for my car and since I have the car up in the air I was considering replacing the 2ndary Cats with this kit from Fabspeed. I know I am not going to gain 100HP but overall does it help on throttle response??? Anyone here done this mod????
Thanks
LRR

EPIQTodd 04-09-2007 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuisR
Are the 986 Boxster MAXFLO 2ndary Catbypass Pipes offered by Fabspeed any good???
I have my 2002 Boxster S on jackstands because i am working on a PSE system for my car and since I have the car up in the air I was considering replacing the 2ndary Cats with this kit from Fabspeed. I know I am not going to gain 100HP but overall does it help on throttle response??? Anyone here done this mod????
Thanks
LRR

I had them for my Cayenne Turbo when I had that vehicle, and they make a monumental difference on a turbo car with high output. The secondary cats are not necessary and slow the flow, so even with smaller output, naturally aspirated cars, it makes a difference.

Adam 04-09-2007 08:27 AM

If you are getting the PSE system, then the fabspeed bypass pipes would be a waste of time and money. To my understanding the PSE has it's own cat bypass system which is what makes it louder in sport mode.

LuisR 04-09-2007 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
If you are getting the PSE system, then the fabspeed bypass pipes would be a waste of time and money. To my understanding the PSE has it's own cat bypass system which is what makes it louder in sport mode.

well, let me explain a little. I am not installing the OEM PSE from porsche, I am modifying the muffler and I am connecting two by-pass pipes to the muffler.
Here are some pics of my Saturday event.
I definitely recommend removing the rear bumper first if you want to remove the muffler, it makes your life a lot simpler!!!

Also, could some one tell me what the hell is that wire on the left side of the rear for????
Thanks
LRR

Joe T 04-09-2007 11:50 AM

I Installed the Fabspeed bypass pipes I did notice better throttle response and the sound is better. I found mine used the quality is great and good fit took about an hour or so but I have access to lift.

steve00s 04-09-2007 12:38 PM

I installed the cat bypass along with the PSE exhaust. Sound is incredible. In town I rarely turn the stereo up because I like the sound soo much. I doubt it really generates much HP. The product itself is very well made with a beautiful finish on it and is easy to install.

Tool Pants 04-09-2007 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuisR
Also, could some one tell me what the hell is that wire on the left side of the rear for????
Thanks
LRR

Emergency release cable for the rear trunk.

MNBoxster 04-09-2007 09:35 PM

..."Also, could some one tell me what the hell is that wire on the left side of the rear for????"
Thanks
LRR

Hi,

It's an Emergency Trunk Latch Release Cable - PN# 996.512.017.01...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Ooops! :o Sorry TP - didn't see your post...

LuisR 04-10-2007 04:26 AM

Thanks guys for the answer about the emergency trunk, I thought about it but i wasn't sure.

jackhoff 04-11-2007 08:24 AM

hey LuisR, do you have a link to any instructions on removing the rear bumper?? and any complete for the exhaust? im about to tackle this project next weekend...