Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 06:53 AM   #21

I think I get the swap

Ok, I have seen the pictures of the swap, and it would make sense to me that they are set this way to accomadate the Europeon "right side" models of cars and we swap them around to accomadate our "left hand drive". I think I am going to go with the A2INC shifter for $55.

I will take pictures.

Chris

Dohertycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:01 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
ny turning the handle i mean when you install it you will notice that the handle is pointing to the driver seat on an angle, so by taking the handle off and rotating it, it will sit in the center not pointing anywher, the other way just looks and feels akward.
once you get into it and do it you will see what were talking about, when i was doing mine i forgot about it and looked at it, and then i figured i missed something and switched it
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
ny turning the handle i mean when you install it you will notice that the handle is pointing to the driver seat on an angle, so by taking the handle off and rotating it, it will sit in the center not pointing anywher, the other way just looks and feels akward.
once you get into it and do it you will see what were talking about, when i was doing mine i forgot about it and looked at it, and then i figured i missed something and switched it
When you say rotate the handle. Are you talking about un-bolting the shifter shaft and flipping it around and then bolting it back together? Otherwise the pivot ball joint would be on the wrong side and you would not be able to flip the entire part around without doing this first before installing it. Is that right?
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:42 AM   #24

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
what about this one, its super cheap, anyone bought one and have some feeback on it?

item # 150111022529 on ebay

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:51 AM   #25

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
what about this one, its super cheap, anyone bought one and have some feeback on it?

item # 150111022529 on ebay
That looks like the same thing that a2rinc sells but a different color. By the way a2rinc doesn't even sell them anymore. I would ask the seller who he gets his parts from and see by chance if it is Top Speed out of Addison,Texas(supplier for a2rinc,Che and plenty of other eBay sellers).
Old 04-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #26

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
That looks like the same thing that a2rinc sells but a different color. By the way a2rinc doesn't even sell them anymore. I would ask the seller who he gets his parts from and see by chance if it is Top Speed out of Addison,Texas(supplier for a2rinc,Che and plenty of other eBay sellers).

if the supplier is Top Speed, is that a good thing of bad?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
if the supplier is Top Speed, is that a good thing of bad?
*This is just for the Boxster products that they make.

All they do is clone parts w/ minor changes to the design. Look at their exhaust,the mounting brackets are what seperate it from the GHL. Look at the SSK,all they did was flip the shaft 180 degrees and call it 'their' design. Look at the headers and compare them to ImageAuto's.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:19 PM   #28

I think I may be the only person who is not completely happy with the a2rinc clone, but I don't think it is the clone or the install (I had an indy mechanic install it). I really don't think that anything is "wrong" with it per se, I just don't like how damn notchy it is. Sometimes it feels like I almost have to force it into gear (normal?). The Porsche shifter was long, but very smooth. I guess it may just be personal preference. I don't hate it, but I'm not as in love with it as most on here are.
Atari-style PCM Navigation
OEM Carrera Lights
B&M clone short shifter
Crappy stereo
HIFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #29

Shifter Mods

I too don’t mind the throw of the stock shifter, but then again I drove 901 series cars for many years and the throw of their shifters were three times longer than those in the 986. In the late 60’s it was common practice to replace the shift lever with ones that had modified fulcrum points in order to shorten the throw…exactly what you’re doing with the after market shifters in the new cars. Unfortunately, over time, the altered geometry put undue strain on the shaft used to transfer the shift motion(s), clearances increased and more frequent rebuilds became necessary.

There’s no free lunch.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:38 AM   #30

None of the cheap ebay ones come with the lube either. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Just use lithium grease. $.02 worth of grease shouldn't be a factor when buying a short shift kit.

I'd also check out renntech.org if you're thinking about one of these knockoffs - there is a nice thread on the cheap ebay models. The bushings aren't the same size and while it may seem to fit right, it doesn't.

I'm starting to think Toolpants got a bad ssk. Many of us haven't had an issue with out kits from a2rinc. My 1st one I installed was snug and fit how it should have been,not loose like his bad bushing was on his kit. I'm installing two more this evening and will check for any play or obvious difference in the bushings.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:41 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Newby
more frequent rebuilds became necessary.
What exactly on the transmissions did it wear out faster? I don't see how these can be that bad for the car if they are offered as options and are installed at dealerships.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #32

I installed a B&M short shift in an S, a while back. Had to drive it to test it and make sure everything worked flawlessly. I wasn't impressed and half the time couldn't tell if I was in gear or not. I opted not to buy a short shift kit after that.

Some people like the short shift, some people don't. My boss actually told me he didn't like the short shift either. It's a preference that I'm not fond of.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #33

I didn't like it either. I had a real B&M; shift effort and notchiness were really bad. I put the stock unit back in.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:19 PM   #34

Garage
Does anyone have pics/URL for the Shifter Linkage Upgrade install?

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:54 AM   #35

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2472&st=0&#entry11426
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:59 AM   #36

Send a message via AIM to dmenn
Blink - you confirmed exactly what I'm saying. The differences between two of the same knock-off SSKs should not be significant, but they are. If you are creating SSKs in a quality controlled environment with the proper equipment, you will see very small variations from one to the next. The example on renntech clearly shows that these cheap SSKs are not quality controlled.

So when I said you get what you pay for you'll probably get something that will fit, but not necessarily perfect and not up the standards of what they should be, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
None of the cheap ebay ones come with the lube either. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Just use lithium grease. $.02 worth of grease shouldn't be a factor when buying a short shift kit.

I'd also check out renntech.org if you're thinking about one of these knockoffs - there is a nice thread on the cheap ebay models. The bushings aren't the same size and while it may seem to fit right, it doesn't.

I'm starting to think Toolpants got a bad ssk. Many of us haven't had an issue with out kits from a2rinc. My 1st one I installed was snug and fit how it should have been,not loose like his bad bushing was on his kit. I'm installing two more this evening and will check for any play or obvious difference in the bushings.
dmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #37

The clone I bought had a sloppy fitting bushing, and you can see how bad because I measured the bushings and the journals. It has to be a guality control issue because the other bushing was ok.

As I said in the link, when I install a B&M I first check the fit of the bushings. So, I did the same with the clone out of habit. I doubt many people check the fit of the bushings, so maybe I was the first to notice it, or I just got an oddball bushing.

I would not want to put in any shift that may end up rocking a bit due to a poorly fitted bushing. Other than that, the clone is well made. It does the same thing as a B&M and you can't beat the price.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #38

Hi all -

I spent the last hour reading the discussion threads about ssk. Decided that I want to do it too! :dance: I read about the mix reviews but for the amount of $$$, I may be pleasantly surprised with the result. Now, I think I want to buy the cloned version from eBay since it cost so much less. Can someone point me to who I should buy it from? Can't seem to find the one that you guys are talking about on eBay. Or should I spend more and get either the Schnell or the real B&M one?

Thanks all.
ichiro75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiro75
Hi all -

I spent the last hour reading the discussion threads about ssk. Decided that I want to do it too! :dance: I read about the mix reviews but for the amount of $$$, I may be pleasantly surprised with the result. Now, I think I want to buy the cloned version from eBay since it cost so much less. Can someone point me to who I should buy it from? Can't seem to find the one that you guys are talking about on eBay. Or should I spend more and get either the Schnell or the real B&M one?

Thanks all.
Be careful buying the short shift kits off of eBay. The last two I picked up DID NOT have the same designed bolt as the ones everyone(including myself) referred to in the past. The new bolt is NOT removable,not allowing you to flip the shaft. Because of this the shaft dangles to the left when installed,not straight up and down like when flipped.

That's for the ones I bought from a2rinc. Some of the other suppliers may have the older designed one with the reversible shaft.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:04 AM   #40

Guys what about the OEM short shift kit? Is it good at all? Anyone that has installed it?

aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote