Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2007, 12:04 PM   #1

Exhaust Upgrade?

I was interested in a 30+ hp upgrade with this product. Any advice?

http://www.fabspeed.com/Boxster.html

It looked promising, for $1500. Is this a reliable source of extra power? I wonder if I will truly feel the difference.

conradtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #2

Smile

Save your money!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #3

Really? It's crap? Oh man... I thought it was a bargain. They make it sound so good.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradtan
Really? It's crap? Oh man... I thought it was a bargain. They make it sound so good.
That is called Advertising.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #5

I have done some research on aftermarket exhausts for the 987. I don't think there are any really reliable numbers regarding the HP gains for making a change b/c there are many environmental factors etc... that impact the results for Dyno runs.

Generally speaking (directionally) adding just the exhaust won't get you anywhere near 30HP, more likely 10HP or less. If you add headers you will get better results, but still not close to 30HP.

Here are the main options I have looked at and some comments:

Fabspeed - nice quality but may cause some resonance. Depending on how aggressive you want the sound to be this exhaust can be pretty loud. For the 987 some don't like the way it looks from behind the car, the cans seem to hang lower (although they claim they don't)

AWE - heard very good things about this exhaust. High quality, more sporty sound, little to no resonance and not too loud. Shows HP gains.

Milltek - also nice quality with more conservative sound. Milltek never mixes the exhaust either, it is kept separate all the way through the tips. Usually costs $2000, but was on sale at suncoast for $1500 about a month ago. According to the Cayman forum the Milltek seems to produce the greatest HP increase, especially when using their headers.

Tubi - good quality, very good sound, but no known performance benefits. Also, I think this is spendy.

Just to reiterate, I was looking for the 987, so I'm not sure how this translates for a 986.

Based on my comments you can probably guess that I am leaning towards the Milltek, but won't be pulling the trigger just yet. If you want more info on relative HP gains and sound etc... Check out these links.

Milltek
http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/showproduct.php?product=2&cat=4&limit=views&date=1161151595

Fabspeed
http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/showproduct.php?product=8&cat=4&limit=views&date=1161151595

AWE
http://www.caymanclub.net/reviews/showproduct.php?product=3&cat=4&limit=views&date=1161151595

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #6

hey conrad..here's what i learned after I got over the HP Mod bug...the most that i will gain are 10 hp unless I will go all out and feel the difference w/c is engine swap and it will cost $10k and the most important thing that i learned is..
-Invest your money on D/E
-Go Autocrossing
*hopefully someone will chime in in regards of the 3 above

It's all worth it...by doing this, you will really feel and learned what your Boxster is made of!

i haven't done any of those 3 but will AX next month @ Monster Park and I know some boxster owners who've done it and hearing what they would say about it makes me want to forget about adding mods

x1 for Bruce

IMHO
-Gerry
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #7

I'm sorry, D/E, AX? I'm new here so I don't know all the acronyms yet. Hehe... So seems like bottom line, don't do anything to my car that does not cost 5 grand or more, or else suffer "check engine light" problems and the like...

Man, I thought this was going to be easy. Guess nothing good comes easy.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #8

DE = Drivers Education
AX = Auto-X or Auto Cross (Racing on a cone course / not at the track)

Suspension modifications are the best bang for the buck if you want to go that route. I came from a Subaru WRX which was, compared to the Boxster, highly modifiable for power gains, so I know where you are coming from. But the truth is that these cars just dont gain power that easily and in the end it ends up not being worth it.

DE and AX or regular Track Time are some of the best mods you can make since you can carry them over to whatever vehicle you are driving. All in all in the automotive modification world improving your skills will always be a better mod than anything you do to your car.

-aren
aren040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradtan
I'm sorry, D/E, AX? I'm new here so I don't know all the acronyms yet. Hehe... So seems like bottom line, don't do anything to my car that does not cost 5 grand or more, or else suffer "check engine light" problems and the like...

Man, I thought this was going to be easy. Guess nothing good comes easy.
im sorry, mah bad aren040 is right! I give up my ongoing search for HP untill I do the 3 I've listed *the best mod ever*

and yap..it's not going to be easy..hehehehehe! I think we should have like a support group for Mod's bug recovery
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:42 PM   #10

I have the GHL Race Exhaust, and while it sounds absolutely intoxicating above 4k, it has a pretty resonance between 2k and 3k whic is rather irritating. I didnt add the exhaust for power, I just wanted to be able to hear the exhaust, but now I am looking for something that doesnt resonate.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:46 PM   #11

Thanks guys. Saved me some money. I think I'll just get a subwoofer installed. Me needs some bass. Hehe...