Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2007, 01:52 AM   #1

MY 2005 issues?

Since 2005 was the first year of the 987, are there some first year bugs to be aware of? In other words, If I want a 987, would it worth it to pay more for an 06 to avoid first year bugs? (I had a bad experience with a first model year car in the past, and I'm still a little scarred...)

I assume 05's come equipped with the usual Boxster baggage such as potential RMS and IMS issues.

Joe

Cary, NC

TorpedoZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:49 AM   #2
bmussatti

Joe, the one "bug" the 2005's had was a engine noise issue due to a bad control piston in the oil pumps. Porsche is aware of the problem and issued a TSB (#1726). And it is an easy fix at the dealership.

I purposley waited for the 2006's to come out before I ordered my car.

Do you have small children? The 2006 also came with smart air bag technology. This will save you a ton of money vs. the 2005 for the airbag deactivation kit.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:10 AM   #3

I have a 2005 with no issues. Since it is under warranty they will do all the TSB and updates for free.

The deactivation for the airbag is definately a problem though. My car goes in next Monday to install the kit - $700

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:02 AM   #4

Talking

Good point on the airbag! But at least they have a fix available (but a little pricey)

I have a 3 year old daughter, who has become my driving coach. She tells me when the lights turn green and frequently reminds me to drive faster. How can I leave her behind?

Joe
Old 03-29-2007, 08:06 AM   #5

drburton,

I love those wheels! I wish they were the same price as the Boxster S wheels.

Joe
Old 03-29-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
bmussatti

TorpedoZone, I have 6 & 9 year old daughters. They love the Boxster. My 6 year old uses a booster seat (with a towel underneath to protect the leather! ) and the airbag turns off automatically based on her weight. The same for my 9 year old but without a booster seat. She has not sat in the car this year yet, so maybe the airbags will turn on based on her weight, but I doubt it because the cut-off is about 90-100 pounds.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:46 AM   #7

No mechanical issues on either my '05 which I ran to 22K or my 06 which is at 15k.

If you look at the open TSBs on the 05, they're all niggling, what few there are, and can be taken care of with a day at the dealer if they haven't already.

The engine noise @2100 rpms is/was present on both my cars. I haven't addressed it yet as A) I consider it a characteristic not a defect B) It doesn't bother me.

I'd definitely recommend an '05 purchase. Might facilitate the purchase of an "S" or the options you want. If you get an '05 have them replace the wind deflector mounting points which are available as a "boxed set", lest the rattling drive you insane.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:47 PM   #8

Torpedo, my advice would be to get the Box with the standard wheels then upgrade with a replica (that's what mine are). Total cost with PS2 tires is around $2500.

Then you can keep your old set for track days etc... (I didn't do that and I'm regretting it).

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
If you get an '05 have them replace the wind deflector mounting points which are available as a "boxed set", lest the rattling drive you insane.
Can this be done on a 986 as well, an 02 to be specific?

TIA

seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote