Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 05:42 PM   #1

March 2007 Panorama – Sales Figures

I know some of you fellow Boxster owners are not PCA members but there is some interesting info in this month’s Panorama :

Porsche Sales for January

Cayenne and 911 sales increase but Boxster and Cayman sales fall substantially

Jan 2007 – 2984 units
Jan 2006 – 3232 units

Cayenne sales up 37%

911 sales up 13.8%

Boxster / Cayman – down 52% ( 1383 in 2006 vs 658 in 2007 )

Day’s supply ( number on hand at dealers ) :

Industry ideal – 60 days

Boxster – 64 days
Cayman – 84 days
911 – 53 days
Cayenne – 53 days

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #2

Those Cayenne numbers are astounding...high gas prices, SUV sales diving and Porsche is sitting purty.
did they break down the Cayman and Boxster sales individually?
I never understand why they clump the two together, makes it hard to see how the Caymans are doing as everyone knows Boxsters sales are always sinking..

sounds like another good year is in the works for Porsha...

p.s.
Cauyenne acounts for nearly 90% of Porsche sales in Russia.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-28-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Those Cayenne numbers are astounding...high gas prices, SUV sales diving and Porsche is sitting purty.
did they break down the Cayman and Boxster sales individually?
I never understand why they clump the two together, makes it hard to see how the Caymans are doing as everyone knows Boxsters sales are always sinking..

sounds like another good year is in the works for Porsha...

p.s.
Cauyenne acounts for nearly 90% of Porsche sales in Russia.
Hi,

The Cayman is a Boxster (type 987.120) variant, so Porsche does not break out their Sales figures separately - even in their own Annual Reoport...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:51 PM   #4

Check out Christophorus figures

Christophorus "The Porsche Magazine" issue for Feb/Mar 2007 news on page 16 reads:

Sales leader: Ten years after it's launch, demand for the Boxster remains high,
200,000th Boxster was delivered to a customer in the US.
speedyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyellow
Christophorus "The Porsche Magazine" issue for Feb/Mar 2007 news on page 16 reads:

Sales leader: Ten years after it's launch, demand for the Boxster remains high,
200,000th Boxster was delivered to a customer in the US.
Hi,

That's interesting since Porsche Annual Report shows only 4 years where sales exceeded 20,000 units (either produced or Sold). Don't know where the magazine is getting their figures, but they're either wrong, or Porsche is lying to their shareholders.

According to Porsche Annual Reports, Boxster Sales peaked in the 2000/01 year with worldwide sales of 27,865 - Source: Porsche Annual Report...

Old 03-29-2007, 05:30 AM   #6

200,000th Boxster

"That's interesting since Porsche Annual Report shows only 4 years where sales exceeded 20,000 units (either produced or Sold). Don't know where the magazine is getting their figures, but they're either wrong, or Porsche is lying to their shareholders."

I'm fairly certain that the 200,000th included ROW cars. It just happened that the 200,000 unit was a US car.
gregwils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:29 AM   #7

so if the CaymanS is a 987 variant, then is a 3.4 Boxster the same price as CaymanS?
And similarly, is the 3.6 996 Cab and 3.6 996 Coupe priced equally?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #8

It's a good thing Cayenne and 911 sales are up, because Porsche has just taken out a $46.7 billion loan to take over VW, the action triggered by upping their VW stake to 30.9% in Feb.
They are also reportedly working on a smaller SUV to compete with the BMW X3.

I wouldn't count on Porsche price reductions anytime soon.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #9

The Cayenne just had a major facelift so a sales spike shouldn't be a surprise as there's always a rush to get the latest Porsche, not to mention selling 06s at closeout prices helps. People who buy new Porsches are, to be frank, more insulated from gas pricing than people who buy new Explorers.

It's a good thing that Porsche doesn't break out Cayman sales otherwise that would be a little embarassing for them.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
so if the CaymanS is a 987 variant, then is a 3.4 Boxster the same price as CaymanS?
And similarly, is the 3.6 996 Cab and 3.6 996 Coupe priced equally?
Hi,

Ha Ha... I doubt it, but Porsche never assigned another Project Number to the Caymen - it truly is a Boxster Coupe (probably to the chagrin of Cayman Owners who were the first in History to pay more for a Hardtop than a Cab)- right down to it's Project #...

Old 03-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I am pretty surprised at the Cayman numbers. I thought with all of the glowing reviews of the car and it's lower price than a 911 it would outsell the rear-engine Porsche.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:00 PM   #12

I still think the Cayman was intended as a fall-back race chassis when the red cars (or whoever) started to kick the crap out of the 911 in GT racing. So, they (Porsche) really don't care that much whether they sell that many of them, since it's basically a marketing deal anyway.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
I still think the Cayman was intended as a fall-back race chassis when the red cars (or whoever) started to kick the crap out of the 911 in GT racing. So, they (Porsche) really don't care that much whether they sell that many of them, since it's basically a marketing deal anyway.

I believe that you are wrong on that point. I think Porsche ALWAYS cares about how many units they sell. It is a money AND a pride issue and Piech wrote the book on pride and arrogance.

My dealer tells me that privately, Porsche is VERY disappointed in the Cayman/Boxster sales. They scratch their heads too, as they know what a great car it really is.

My take, is THE PRICE FOR BOTH IS TOO HIGH!

That is just my take.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee

That is just my take.
I agree and disagree with you on this Mr Lee.....The boxster I think carries a fair price for those that want to own a Porsche....the cayman is a rip because it is priced above the boxster ESPECIALLY once they gave them the same engine (we need a laughing spinning face icon here)

More power for the dollar, maybe....but by no means would I want to see the price dip and any yahoo buying my beloved boxster...

on the other hand I do think the sticker scares people, I couldn't drop the 52 and change they wanted for my base boxster, but once I saw them come all the way down to 42....we were talking....

a porsche at 42 versus an infiniti or 350 Z at 36-38...I'll go Porsche....

MN....this is one of the funniest and true observations "it truly is a Boxster Coupe (probably to the chagrin of Cayman Owners who were the first in History to pay more for a Hardtop than a Cab)"
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I believe that you are wrong on that point. I think Porsche ALWAYS cares about how many units they sell. It is a money AND a pride issue and Piech wrote the book on pride and arrogance.

My dealer tells me that privately, Porsche is VERY disappointed in the Cayman/Boxster sales. They scratch their heads too, as they know what a great car it really is.

That is just my take.
I agree with you , Rich, to the extent that Porsche is always primarily interested in 1.) making money, and 2.) protecting the Porsche name and brand. That's why they sue (or threaten to) the bejezzus out of anybody that uses the Porsche crest without authorization.
Usually their marketing research is spot-on when it comes to noodling out how to approach the marketplace. If they really thought the Cayman would sell in large numbers in spite of being a less useful automobile at almost the same price as compared to the 911, then somebody in market research screwed up, BAD.
The only thing that makes sense to me is that, in addition to another model to fill a miniscule slot in their product line, they felt it might be needed in the racing/marketing program.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
I agree with you , Rich, to the extent that Porsche is always primarily interested in 1.) making money, and 2.) protecting the Porsche name and brand. That's why they sue (or threaten to) the bejezzus out of anybody that uses the Porsche crest without authorization.
Usually their marketing research is spot-on when it comes to noodling out how to approach the marketplace. If they really thought the Cayman would sell in large numbers in spite of being a less useful automobile at almost the same price as compared to the 911, then somebody in market research screwed up, BAD.
The only thing that makes sense to me is that, in addition to another model to fill a miniscule slot in their product line, they felt it might be needed in the racing/marketing program.

You may be right. Sometimes I am not clear at all what the Porsche strategy really is. I think it is whatever Piech is feeling that day.

Time will tell I guess.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote