View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 05:03 PM   #15
Ronzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I believe that you are wrong on that point. I think Porsche ALWAYS cares about how many units they sell. It is a money AND a pride issue and Piech wrote the book on pride and arrogance.

My dealer tells me that privately, Porsche is VERY disappointed in the Cayman/Boxster sales. They scratch their heads too, as they know what a great car it really is.

My take, is THE PRICE FOR BOTH IS TOO HIGH!

That is just my take.
I agree with you , Rich, to the extent that Porsche is always primarily interested in 1.) making money, and 2.) protecting the Porsche name and brand. That's why they sue (or threaten to) the bejezzus out of anybody that uses the Porsche crest without authorization.
Usually their marketing research is spot-on when it comes to noodling out how to approach the marketplace. If they really thought the Cayman would sell in large numbers in spite of being a less useful automobile at almost the same price as compared to the 911, then somebody in market research screwed up, BAD.
The only thing that makes sense to me is that, in addition to another model to fill a miniscule slot in their product line, they felt it might be needed in the racing/marketing program.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote