Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2021, 05:41 PM   #1

WTB: Boxster S brake calipers

I have a 2000 base model and im looking to upgrade my brakes to a Boxster S or 996 setup.

Looking for the full set of calipers, let me know what you have. If you have brake disks as well and they are in good shape i will consider getting them. Im on the 17 inch turbo twist but from what I know bigger breaks should fit just fine.

Thanks,

Cristian

CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:09 PM   #2
Racer Boy

I have front calipers that I'll let go. If you can't find a complete set, let me know.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:20 PM   #3

I have a complete set of Boxster S calipers from my 2002 S. They're not pretty, because I was planning to get them refinished before I sold them, and all I've done at this point is spray them with degreaser and wiped them down with some acetone to get the built up grime off the outside surfaces. They are fully functional, but with 100k miles on them I would recommend replacing the seals and dust boots. I replaced them solely for cosmetic reasons when I did my Raby engine rebuild last year. No pads or discs, but for what it would cost to ship the discs, you might as well buy new ones anyway. If you want to shoot me a PM with your phone number, I can text you pics of the calipers.

Last edited by Banana S; 02-25-2021 at 05:54 AM.
Banana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
I have a 2000 base model and im looking to upgrade my brakes to a Boxster S or 996 setup.

Looking for the full set of calipers, let me know what you have. If you have brake disks as well and they are in good shape i will consider getting them. Im on the 17 inch turbo twist but from what I know bigger breaks should fit just fine.

Thanks,

Cristian
The rear S brakes will not fit on the base model without swapping out the rear carriers to the S units, because the base and S use different e-bake setups.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The rear S brakes will not fit on the base model without swapping out the rear carriers to the S units, because the base and S use different e-bake setups.
I thought that was for a 2.5L, i have the 2.7L.

If that's the case though.. that adds another level of complexity.
if I dont swap would they still fit and maybe give up hand brake?

I'm guessing with bigger breaks on the front and base model brakes on the rear the back end will get squirlly under hard braking right?
Old 02-25-2021, 12:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
I thought that was for a 2.5L, i have the 2.7L.

If that's the case though.. that adds another level of complexity.
if I dont swap would they still fit and maybe give up hand brake?

I'm guessing with bigger breaks on the front and base model brakes on the rear the back end will get squirlly under hard braking right?
The e-bake on all the 986 base cars are a different diameter than the S e-brake, and require changing the rear carrier assemblies in order for everything to fit and work, period. Any state with vehicle inspections will require the e-brake to function, and while that may not be a problem for you, it makes the car unsalable in any state that does. And if the car came into my shop for a PPI, I would tell the buyer to drop the price by the amount necessary to correct the problem, which is not small project.

As 80-85% of the car's braking effort in on the front brakes, you won't notice any difference.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The e-bake on all the 986 base cars are a different diameter than the S e-brake, and require changing the rear carrier assemblies in order for everything to fit and work, period. Any state with vehicle inspections will require the e-brake to function, and while that may not be a problem for you, it makes the car unsalable in any state that does. And if the car came into my shop for a PPI, I would tell the buyer to drop the price by the amount necessary to correct the problem, which is not small project.

As 80-85% of the car's braking effort in on the front brakes, you won't notice any difference.
JFP, i really appreciate all the insight and your expertiese on this. I might end up getting the bigger brakes for the front and leaving the rear base stock. I'll look more into it and see what i end up doing.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:45 PM   #8

quick update, ended up swapping the S brakes for the front only and it's quite the difference! much improved braking, the way the base boxster should have been. Anyone who's on the fence should just find a decent set of calipers and do it, the swap is much easier than i thought. Can go well when it comes time to swap discs.

There's a nice set for sale right now from Racer Boy, someone should jump on it!

Last edited by CrisZenithBlue; 05-23-2021 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2021, 03:42 AM   #9

Hi,I got the brake caliper at hand ,you can message me through my work email jameandrew48@gmailcom for more information okay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jameandrew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:46 AM   #10

I can send pictures here if that cool by you okay

Old 05-24-2021, 05:50 PM   #11
esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameandrew48 View Post
Hi,I got the brake caliper at hand ,you can message me through my work email jameandrew48@gmailcom for more information okay

Hi Jame,

I am doing this upgrade too and have already sourced the brake caliper, but having much difficulty finding the S version combination brake/blinker fluid reservoir. Do you happen to have one of these for sale?
esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:57 PM   #12
Racer Boy

All you need is the calipers (which bolt right up to the existing bracket) and the rotors. Nothing else is needed.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:01 PM   #13

Yes I have the s version for sale

Old 05-24-2021, 07:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
Hi Jame,

I am doing this upgrade too and have already sourced the brake caliper, but having much difficulty finding the S version combination brake/blinker fluid reservoir. Do you happen to have one of these for sale?
That won’t result in any real improvement unless the muffler bearings are upgraded to the S version as well. jameandrew48, do you have the S version muffler bearings available as well?
Banana S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:44 PM   #15

i really appreciate you guys generating more business for Jame, he'll sell his entire S model in no time at this rate.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:09 AM   #16
esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana S View Post
That won’t result in any real improvement unless the muffler bearings are upgraded to the S version as well. jameandrew48, do you have the S version muffler bearings available as well?
I was under the impression that the base and S muffler bearings were identical. Learn something new every day.

We should apologize to CZB for cluttering his thread. jameandrew48 have you considered submitting to https://bringatrailer.com/ it may be a better market for such a rare car.
esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #17

No apologies needed.. it is I who should thank you
Old 08-04-2021, 12:11 AM   #18

I just bought a set of 996 brake calipers for my base 986 and started searching for information here.

I just have to say that if you don't have English as your first language, some of the posts in this thread can be quite confusing. Anyway, you learn something new every day. I had never heard of muffler bearings before...
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridsten View Post
I just bought a set of 996 brake calipers for my base 986 and started searching for information here.

I just have to say that if you don't have English as your first language, some of the posts in this thread can be quite confusing. Anyway, you learn something new every day. I had never heard of muffler bearings before...
Sorry, Fridsten! A couple of us were just having a little fun with a spammer/con artist. (Translates to something like "svindlare" or "bedragare" in Swedish, I believe.)

Best of luck with your brake caliper swap!
Old 08-09-2021, 07:31 AM   #20

Garage
I have front calipers and rotors