Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
Clk

Garage
Fs: 2003-2004 pcm 2.0

Pulled out of 2004 Anniversary 996 for a modern head unit. Works great. 400$ + shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
Need For Speed

Garage
Curious how you would get the radio to work in a different car? I know the 2003 and 2004 model radio stores your cars vin number. You never need to input the security code like the older models when the radio has been removed. Storing the vin the radio knows it's still in the correct vehicle.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:00 PM   #3
Clk

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Curious how you would get the radio to work in a different car? I know the 2003 and 2004 model radio stores your cars vin number. You never need to input the security code like the older models when the radio has been removed. Storing the vin the radio knows it's still in the correct vehicle.

I believe you can have a Porsche dealer or a shop that has access to the PST2 or PIWIS software that can recode the radios for other cars.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #4

Garage
In an 03-04 it will just work without coding or anything, at least mine did. I put in an ebay PCM 2 in place of my CDR 23. You would have to get the NAV antenna and discs to make that work, but I wouldn't bother as the Porsche navigation from those years wasn't very good to begin with and they don't/haven't upgraded the maps in years. I went thru the trouble and wasn't happy with the nav funtion. I like it better visually than the CDR 23 and it seems to have a little better sound(maybe my imagination) so I keep it in.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
Clk

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate50 View Post
In an 03-04 it will just work without coding or anything, at least mine did. I put in an ebay PCM 2 in place of my CDR 23. You would have to get the NAV antenna and discs to make that work, but I wouldn't bother as the Porsche navigation from those years wasn't very good to begin with and they don't/haven't upgraded the maps in years. I went thru the trouble and wasn't happy with the nav funtion. I like it better visually than the CDR 23 and it seems to have a little better sound(maybe my imagination) so I keep it in.

It's also a very nice visual upgrade to the interior imo. Even though i prefer the stuff in a modern head unit the pcm is visually more appealing and no headache of having to deal with the most system as well