Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2017, 07:08 AM   #1

19" wheels for sale currently on '97 boxster

I'm in Louisiana. Tires are INVO and sizes are 235/35ZR19 and Federal 275/30ZR 19. Just bought the car so don't have any history of the tires, age, etc....Make offer

stangit66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:33 AM   #2

The early cars, such as the 97, had a TSB out on them warning against using wheels larger than 17" which can cause chassis cracking near the suspension mounts. This problem was corrected in the later cars by reinforcing the chassis areas with thicker metal, which eliminated the problem. And while I'm sure someone will chime in that they have been running 22's on their car without problems, we have seen more than one car with chassis cracking from using bigger wheels.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The early cars, such as the 97, had a TSB out on them warning against using wheels larger than 17" which can cause chassis cracking near the suspension mounts. This problem was corrected in the later cars by reinforcing the chassis areas with thicker metal, which eliminated the problem. And while I'm sure someone will chime in that they have been running 22's on their car without problems, we have seen more than one car with chassis cracking from using bigger wheels.
thanks...good info....I'm new to the Porsche. I've found 17" stock rims to buy and just trying to get rid of these that came with the car. Hopefully someone can use them somewhere on something.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Saying this with respect but this has nothing to do with wheel size. Are there any max wheel weight threshold available anywhere? If 'true' that the wheel on its own is the issue then Porsche would have released those weight/ratio figures.

Instead of covering up a faulty structural integrity simply caused by down-force on the '97 (in my uninformed opinion mind you). Unless a silly wheel is heavier than the constant downforce these car cope with at speed then I'm clueless man
Old 01-27-2017, 08:35 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Porsche did actually put out a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB #4407), dated March 4, 1997: " Eighteen inch wheels are not approved for use on Boxsters. Use of eighteen inch wheels on Boxsters under severe conditions may result in structural failures of the body and/or suspension". They later beefed up the suspension in later model Boxsters to handle larger wheels. Regardless, people have thrown on larger wheels in their early Boxsters. Your car, you decide. Original poster should still be able to sell the wheels as they should be fine on later model Boxsters.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #6

"" Eighteen inch wheels are not approved for use on Boxsters. Use of eighteen inch wheels on Boxsters under severe conditions may result in structural failures of the body and/or suspension""

Is this really the official bulletin/writing? That's it?? not trying to be sarcastic here, I've never read it.

What is the wheel weight "difference" between a cast stock wheel and an aftermarket? Not much compared to the groceries bags she place in her back trunk basically (chassis/suspension right?). Please do not make me show you a graph of the downforce curve these cars goes between 60~100mph LOL

This wheel size thing you read everywhere just doesn't make sense to me.

Thread hijack, sorry Stangit66
Old 01-27-2017, 08:49 AM   #7
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
"" Eighteen inch wheels are not approved for use on Boxsters. Use of eighteen inch wheels on Boxsters under severe conditions may result in structural failures of the body and/or suspension""

Is this really the official bulletin/writing? That's it?? not trying to be sarcastic here, I've never read it.

What is the wheel weight "difference" between a cast stock wheel and an aftermarket? Not much compared to the groceries bags she place in her back trunk basically (chassis/suspension right?). Please do not make me show you a graph of the downforce curve these cars goes between 60~100mph LOL

This wheel size thing you read everywhere just doesn't make sense to me.

Thread hijack, sorry Stangit66
That's is an excerpt from the actual Bulletin. There's another line or two after that, but I don't have it handy right now. Maybe someone else can chime in if they have access (used to have access to them on Renntech).... anyway, it depends how you read it...hey, it mentions 18" wheels, so 19" and 22" should be OK!

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
hey, it mentions 18" wheels, so 19" and 22" should be OK!
LOLOLOL Love reassurance like that
Old 01-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I think it's more about lateral forces exerted on the suspension and chassis in cornering than it is about weight.
Larger wheel = more leverage on parts.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #10

whew!!! all good stuff....but still would like to get rid of the wheels...thanks
Old 01-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post

It is an actual TSB, but unfortunately reproducing it on a website can draw the ire of PCNA's vast legal team (this has actually happened to prominent websites, so no one actually shows the original document these days).
Old 01-27-2017, 09:14 PM   #12

When did Porsche update the chassis and/or suspension? Do '99 Boxsters have the reinforced components?
Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:16 PM   #13
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi Cooper View Post
When did Porsche update the chassis and/or suspension? Do '99 Boxsters have the reinforced components?
'98. The '99 is good to go.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:03 PM   #14

Cha-weeeeet. Thanks.
Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:25 AM   #15

Need to rid of these wheels......$300.00