Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster & Cayman Detailing Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2021, 04:52 AM   #1
PLP
Registered User
 
PLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 167
Small color change? - repaint the whole car - advise opinion

Repainting the whole car – options and advice needed

Same colour or a slight change?

Paint on my car is neglected. A few dings here and there (no big deal), but a big scratch on the front fender (driver) and burn marks on the rear (very poor paint correction job burned through the clear and damaged the base coat) on the trunk and roof lids. Plus rear bumper problems.

Options I did not choose:
I looked at vinyl wrap, but at 2-4k USD and it will show all imperfection of the body anyway.
I considered plasti dip. I personally hate it and I know that would be the final destination of the car. Reverting it is impossible. Plus it still shows body damage.

I ended up with getting the whole car repainted and fixing all the body issues.


Now, the BIG question.
It is 2003 with body color 747 (regular flat black). It is non-metalic.
I was planning on sticking to OEM, black.
No, I am not changing into yellow… but I was wondering – maybe some metallic black, or dark blue metallic. Something what will not really show difference between door sills, but may look better.

What do you think guys?

Staying with plain black or some small change?
The body shop guy was suggesting some metallic – maybe like new Corollas have, black metallic with small hint of blue. I did not see it, so hard to say.

What I need to add here is that the car will receive a ceramic coating on the top of that so that we can retain the nice gloss.
That is also a factor in the future – which colour will show off better. I personally still think plain black has the highest gloss.

Resale? Not sure I car much about it…

__________________
Current rides: 2003 Porsche Boxster MT (me), 2019 Bolt LT (me), 2015 Audi Q5 (wife)

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:52 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 139
Garage
I was going to mention resale but you addressed it lol!

My opinion is go with what makes YOU happy.

I may be headed down the route of a respray as well and not looking forward to it. So damn many rock chips it's driving me nuts. I just don't want to spend the $ on the respray as only other enthusiasts are likely to notice the difference.
Radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:45 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Qingdao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Charleston
Posts: 486
I personally never want to own a black automotive finished car.... TOO much maintenance in my opinion, and really hard to spray (thats probably the reason your body guy suggested some color).

Just do a dark grey metallic. Super easy maintenance and close enough to the oem black that you won't even notice the door jams. My wife's last 986 was a black car resprayed to dark grey metallic and the door jams were black; I almost never noticed.
__________________
'99 supercharged 4.3 chevy Boxsterado
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:02 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 9
Hi,
I think it is better to take a mechanic that is better than yourself color it with spray,
let the mechanic handle it.
__________________
Check out our beautiful website if you are interested in cars and <a href="https://cash-cars.sydney/cash-for-old-car-in-sydney/">old car</a>.
akbaradeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:14 AM   #5
1999 Boxster 5 spd.
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Ohio
Posts: 43
If you do a color change, are you going to do the door jams and trunks? Doing a true color change requires disassembly in order to get all the nooks and crannies. However, if you stick with black or dark grey with metallic, you can probably get away with not doing the jams and trunks because it would be "close enough" that it wouldn't stand out. And since you don't care about resale value then that may be the way to go.
__________________
99 Boxster 5 spd, Arctic Silver
Dayton, Ohio
Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLP View Post
Repainting the whole car – options and advice needed

Same colour or a slight change?

Paint on my car is neglected. A few dings here and there (no big deal), but a big scratch on the front fender (driver) and burn marks on the rear (very poor paint correction job burned through the clear and damaged the base coat) on the trunk and roof lids. Plus rear bumper problems.

Options I did not choose:
I looked at vinyl wrap, but at 2-4k USD and it will show all imperfection of the body anyway.
I considered plasti dip. I personally hate it and I know that would be the final destination of the car. Reverting it is impossible. Plus it still shows body damage.

I ended up with getting the whole car repainted and fixing all the body issues.


Now, the BIG question.
It is 2003 with body color 747 (regular flat black). It is non-metalic.
I was planning on sticking to OEM, black.
No, I am not changing into yellow… but I was wondering – maybe some metallic black, or dark blue metallic. Something what will not really show difference between door sills, but may look better.

What do you think guys?

Staying with plain black or some small change?
The body shop guy was suggesting some metallic – maybe like new Corollas have, black metallic with small hint of blue. I did not see it, so hard to say.

What I need to add here is that the car will receive a ceramic coating on the top of that so that we can retain the nice gloss.
That is also a factor in the future – which colour will show off better. I personally still think plain black has the highest gloss.

Resale? Not sure I car much about it…
ANY repaint that moves away from the factory color is going to require taking entire sections of the car apart to cover normally concealed areas, otherwise the car will scream "RESPRAY" and raise more questions at sale time than it answers. Buyers and those that conduct PPI's on these cars tend to be suspicious of why the car was repainted, and either shy away or lower their offering price.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:13 AM   #7
PLP
Registered User
 
PLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey View Post
If you do a color change, are you going to do the door jams and trunks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
ANY repaint that moves away from the factory color is going to require taking entire sections of the car apart to cover normally concealed areas, otherwise the car will scream "RESPRAY" and raise more questions at sale time than it answers. Buyers and those that conduct PPI's on these cars tend to be suspicious of why the car was repainted, and either shy away or lower their offering price.

No, it would be a small change, if at all.
Now it is plain black.
As for the change - say going from black to metallic black or maybe very dark gray metallic or such. No drastic change that would require disassembly of all panels.

I will document everything for the resale.
Respray is done to fix overburn marks due to improper care and trying to fix it...
__________________
Current rides: 2003 Porsche Boxster MT (me), 2019 Bolt LT (me), 2015 Audi Q5 (wife)

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:13 AM   #8
1999 Boxster 5 spd.
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Ohio
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLP View Post
No, it would be a small change, if at all.
Now it is plain black.
As for the change - say going from black to metallic black or maybe very dark gray metallic or such. No drastic change that would require disassembly of all panels.

I will document everything for the resale.
Respray is done to fix overburn marks due to improper care and trying to fix it...
Going from flat to metallic or black to dark grey would be fine as long as the painter carefully masks off the lines around the jambs and deck lids. We have to be happy with our cars so do whatever would make you happy with it.

__________________
99 Boxster 5 spd, Arctic Silver
Dayton, Ohio
Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page