Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster & Cayman Detailing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2021, 06:24 PM   #1

Garage
Interior paint

Got a 99 Boxster for cheap as previous owner attempted a head gasket and quit. Car was sitting outside windows up but with a ripped rear vinyl window. Consequently the interior was a mess. No rips or broken pieces just discolored plastic and vinyl (seats are leather and survived amazingly well. I lathered the drivers seat in conditioner and wrapped it in a semi air tight bag to “sweat” the conditioner in. Now the leather is softer than my “good” 99. The sides and back of the seat, however, seem to be vinyl with what I can only conclude is water damage in the form of white streaks that don’t scrub off. Did a little research on vinyl dyes and decided to try the least expensive (of the ones I would even consider) which was a rust oleum vinyl and carpet paint that I had leftover from a budget Scion TC rescue. Results look amazing. I decided to do half of the seat back pocket so that I could see the contrast. Couldn’t be happier with the results. Going to wait a couple of days to cure then give it a good scrub test. I’ll report back this weekend with an update. I’ve included the 2 pics I took a couple of hours after spraying so that you can see the results. Prep was a simple clean and scrub with simple green and a good wipe down with 91% alcohol. Then 2 light coats of the dye/paint. See for yourselves.

Attached Images

Last edited by Dllrd23; 03-16-2021 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Add pic
Dllrd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:19 PM   #2

I've got tan interior on my '02 and the driver's seat bolster is showing wear. Any recommendations for color match and what to use to touch up wear that looks like faded creases or wrinkles?
JohnENC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:55 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnENC View Post
I've got tan interior on my '02 and the driver's seat bolster is showing wear. Any recommendations for color match and what to use to touch up wear that looks like faded creases or wrinkles?
Best I can tell the seating surface of these seats are leather and the sides and back are vinyl like the pocket I colored. I probably wouldn’t use this for leather. There are quite a few products out there for re-dying automotive leather. Problem is that even if you get a good product, it may not match the correct shade or sheen. Be prepared to do the whole seating area.
Dllrd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:40 PM   #4

I've wondered about that rustoleum product....Looks pretty great to me!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:12 PM   #5

Nice job...good idea.I've used high end leather conditioners that work well.Saddle soap first.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
alansdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:09 PM   #6

The compartment covers on the doors are lightly scratched.Any ideas on what could be good to redo them?
Rubberized paint?they seem to have a vinyl surface...

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

alansdavid is offline   Reply With Quote