Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster & Cayman Detailing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #1
Goth Popper

Angry 10 years of bad car covers...

So I haven't had the best experience with car covers... :ah:

I've purchased a couple of those "Ultimate Car Covers" (you know, the one with all the layers) and it would shed fabric all over the car.

Then I bought the black vinyl car cover type (which is more like a tarp but fitted) and while it kept the rain off, it didn't have tie down holes so big gusts of winds would blow it off.

So I want a car cover that's fitted, waterproof, has tie down holes, but doesn't shed fabric all over the place. Any ideas?

Old 01-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
The factory Porsche outdoor car cover I found fine, but didn't use it much cause I have a garage, so ended up selling it here. It is fitted to the car and has a security lock system (cable that goes under the car and lock). Never shed any fabric that I know of.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #3

Just a sheet of black nylon fabric with an insert layer(gray). Ultra-light, fit in a small 12"x12" carry bag, dries up instantly, car breath fully, and typhoon resistant. Ties up to the spokes of each wheel with dbl-straps. Can see some sexy shapes when installed also

Custom made $66. How many we need?

Old 01-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #4

Very nice Fred!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
If this is a serious question, I'm in.
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #6

Cal Car Cover Noah fabric

Never a spot on the car. Survived bird droppings, 12" of snow, ice, etc and was easy to put on. Survived 5 years and was good as new when I sold the car. Northern Virginia which got as hot as 100F and as low as 10F
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #7

In for $66 all day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JamesVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #8

Garage
Can you get it in white? The Texas sun would heat that black right up in the summer.
2003 S, 6 Speed, PCM, PSM, Bose, Litronics with washers, on its' second LN IMSB, comfort top, UDP, 987 engine mount, 997 RMS, Koni Sport Shocks, H&R springs, Techno brace, comfort blinkers, nin8six windscreen, particlewave light up cubby
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Can you get it in white? The Texas sun would heat that black right up in the summer.
Same for me here in SoCal, it would be perfect for the track in white.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Same for me here in SoCal, it would be perfect for the track in white.
I want one in reflective silver. In the summer bugs instantly die when they land on my black box. Not that that's a bad thing but you get the idea...
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #11
Goth Popper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Just a sheet of black nylon fabric with an insert layer(gray). Ultra-light, fit in a small 12"x12" carry bag, dries up instantly, car breath fully, and typhoon resistant. Ties up to the spokes of each wheel with dbl-straps. Can see some sexy shapes when installed also

One for now please.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #12

Garage
New to the forum, but have been lurking for a bit. Just bought a 2002 boxster S last month. I registered to say i'd buy that cover at $66.
Jeturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:01 PM   #13
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Boxcutter View Post
So I haven't had the best experience with car covers... :ah:

I've purchased a couple of those "Ultimate Car Covers" (you know, the one with all the layers) and it would shed fabric all over the car.

Then I bought the black vinyl car cover type (which is more like a tarp but fitted) and while it kept the rain off, it didn't have tie down holes so big gusts of winds would blow it off.

So I want a car cover that's fitted, waterproof, has tie down holes, but doesn't shed fabric all over the place. Any ideas?
I have used a lot of cheap car covers over the years and what I learned is that 90% of what you can get for under $100 is junk and some of what you can get for well over that is still junk. The examples you listed are some of the worst.

The only pressed polyester (multi-layer type) that I found any good was the "Noah" material that Mikefocke mentioned. It is a bit bulky, but provides good protection and is easy to use.

For a very cheap cover that keeps the sun, dust, and light rain off, I have had a few of these with a couple extra bungee straps for wind. Single layer, woven fabric, very light, great for keeping the c@t hairs off when the car is in the garage, but will not hold up much over 6 months with full outdoor use. Worth the ~$25 IMHO.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Motor-Trend-All-Season-WeatherWear-1-Poly-Layer-Snowproof-Water-Resistant-Car-Cover/50285024

For a heavy duty woven material, I have a couple covers made of WeatherShield HP fabric. It's heavy, and takes more work to put on and tie down than the lighter covers. They have held up well, and are washable if they get dirty - keeps grit from building up. $$$, but great covers. Car Covers - NOAH vs. WeatherShield HP
--------------------------

Fred, glad to see you are getting some energy back and posting again. I'd probably get a couple if you make that group buy official. Just prefer not to get black for the same reason as others, and no cheap LED Angel Eyes.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #14
On the slippery slope

Garage
Fred, can you do one for a 996?
If so, I'm in, Silver prefered
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #15
Lew
So Blessed!

Garage
The BURGE #3 at Wal Mart is for the Boxster. It's gray and covers the wheels. It's good for me in the Garage. $24 and change. Maybe I can post a picture.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #16

Just spoke to the seller and he is willing to do them for RMB350, if we buy a few. Something like US$58 each. We can have our own custom logo he also added lolll Consideration for the creative minds

He's the trick. I need one trustworthy fella to agree to receive them and dispatch them to forum members on arrival. The reason being is "cutting shipping cost".

Air-shipping them individually would cost something like $30~$40 each and that would make the deal pretty useless. Compared to USPS domestic shipping which I think would be a fraction of this.

Any ideas welcome.

ps: Yes, that black is 100% for sure NOT for Sunshine-Ville. You'll cook your Boxster in an afternoon. My car is parked under a 50 foot tall tree and its getting shade all day long. Perfect for the garage though.

pps: black, green, blue, silver, beige... I don't think it matters to the seller
Old 01-18-2017, 10:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Boxcutter View Post
One for now please.
You realize those are not waterproof, but then you wouldn't want that for a sport-car cover anyway. The whole idea is to have them dry-up as fast as they wet. The wind is also an issue: waterproof/multi-layers car covers will act as a parachute for your car in case of strong wind lolll

Saying not waterproof; well, nearly is in practice. 98% of the water bounce right off it and drip around the car instead. You get the idea. You can spray them with Camping Tent Silicon spray if you are really concerned about water but by all means, do not use a fully waterproof cover for any of your car man (eg. those advertised with super thick multi-layers at $80 bucks each, beware)

The one here is a dust cover, is what they are really. UV protection, etc.

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-18-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Fred, can you do one for a 996?
If so, I'm in, Silver prefered
I'll get you one custom made for the 996. Hold on mate. in fact they already have them for 911, same?

He also have the soft fabric (indoor) covers also. Those that shrink to the shape of your car. Super sexy stuff... cheap cheap!!

Last edited by Nine8Six; 01-18-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:13 PM   #19

99boxcutter, Say I like that Bikini top shown in your avatar. Where might one get a hold of one? That would be nice for these Ca summers. Reminds me of the Miata ones.
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:22 PM   #20

You get the idea (US$100). He also has them in red (arrrggghh)