View Single Post
Old 03-30-2024, 09:18 AM   #5
Danimal

I have tried a few things in my 2001 S.

1. Replaced shift console with a 987/997 oem - helped a little
2. Adjusted the cables with the factory alignment tool. Tricky because the stock blue cable was not long enough and needed to be pulled forward about 1/4” to fit in. Pulling the black cable forward the same amount seemed to help somewhat.
3. Changed the motor mount to 987 version. This was a huge improvement in vibration and clutch engagement (particularly disengagement, car would sort of lurch). Did not help with shifting for me.
4. Changed the gear oil using oem stuff. No change in feel but still glad I did it.
5. Raceseng circuit sphere shift knob. Attaches to the lever with set screws. Highest quality part in the interior, but is a little taller than stock and still getting used to it. The rubber inside my stock shifter was a little loose so this feels tighter to me.

Fixes I may try next:
- rennline shift cable retainers to hold the cables on the tranny side tighter.
- gbox second gear detent (stiff shifting into second gear and sometimes third, but no pop out)
- numeric racing cables and possibly the shifter as well.

I do have concerns about longevity either detent or numeric shifting cables, but I think there is still enough slop in there that everything will work fine.

My late 80s 3 series was a dream to shift and I’m still chasing that dragon 🐉

"Sixty percent of the time, it works every time!"
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote