View Single Post
Old 02-22-2024, 06:26 PM   #7
alexpinson5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Alex, it looks like you just joined here. So welcome!

Couple of things to consider:

If you're going to drain and refill anyway, then I'd say drain first, fill last, with your r&r in between. What would be the point in doing otherwise? [emoji848]

Here's the bigger question, though:

You're chasing a rear main seal and a squealing t/o bearing. I hate to ask if you've read-up on the IMS for these motors?

I'm not an IMS doom-sayer, like some others. However: it might make sense to replace the IMS while you're in there looking at it.

Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Yes, I am quite familiar with the IMSB issue(s). Just before I bought the car it had ~$6,000 worth of work at a reputable indy shop in Ohio including a new IMS, RMS, clutch, flywheel, etc. Unfortunately the car was in a minor accident almost immediately after that (drivers-side door needed replaced, but no other damage - great for me, but I feel for the previous owner!) which is how I came to buy it.

I'm not 100% convinced that the RMS is the leaking issue, but I have other motivations for dropping the transmission: a) clutch squeal is really starting to annoy me, b) I need a reason to use my new lift! and c) the transmission is caked in oil and grime from previous oil leaks and the current. In the 2 years I've owned the car I've only driven it ~3,000 miles so there's little reason to replace the clutch while I'm in there IMO, it's basically brand new.

Part of that large service was replacing the AOS and oil fill tube, which I presume was leaking, but the back of the fill tube wasn't quite clipped on correctly leading to more oil on top of the engine as I've owned the car. I have a very slow drip/leak from where the bell housing meets the engine, and removing the transmission will make it a lot easier to clean off a lot of the old grime. There's just too much now to be able to easily determine the origin of the leak, as it could be coming from above as well.
alexpinson5 is offline   Reply With Quote