View Single Post
Old 02-22-2024, 07:22 AM   #3
elgyqc

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
... If you're going to drain and refill anyway, then I'd say drain first, fill last, with your r&r in between. What would be the point in doing otherwise? [emoji848]

Here's the bigger question, though:

You're chasing a rear main seal and a squealing t/o bearing. I hate to ask if you've read-up on the IMS for these motors?

I'm not an IMS doom-sayer, like some others. However: it might make sense to replace the IMS while you're in there looking at it. ...
When I remove a transmission it usually stays on the transmission jack till it goes back in, so draining the oil while it is on the ground is not an option. I drain it before removing the transmission and then fill it before reinstalling. The 6-speeds are HEAVY, so the difference in weight is not significant IMHO,
On the IMSB... with the flywheel off you can lock the cams and remove the IMSB flange and instpect the bearing to see if it is loose or binding. I have done this on two engines and they are still running Before reassembling I removed the oil seal so that the bearing gets lubricated by oil. With the seal off you can also see if there is any grease left in the bearing. On a third engine the bearing wasn't loose or binding but what grease that was left was hardened and mixed with a bit of oil. That IMSB I changed.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote