View Single Post
Old 09-26-2021, 05:23 PM   #10
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Today I finally had enough free time and spare parts to get the car running. So far it has just run on jack stands for a warm up and basic checks, but the stock intake with the 996 electronics it sounded good after the lifters stopped rattling. There is no particular plan for what to do with this car yet. It seems to run fine so far, but I expect that it will need some correction to run optimally with the 996 DME. I may get the correct tune for it, run it with a larger intake and MAF tube, or pull the engine and put it in another car. The engine is a factory replacement engine from '04:

The car has been sitting since some time in 2018. To get it running I also needed to replace the fuel pump. I tried rigging an old pump from a scrapped '01 in there, but it turned out bad too. R.A. had VDO pumps for about $200 so I went with that. Replacement was pretty simple with the correct part.

Now my curiosity has moved on to the difference between the fuel system of 986.1s and 986.2s. In 2002 models the fuel pressure regulator was moved from the rail on the engine to the sender in the tank. The unit in the tank looks pretty much like what sits on the fuel rail. I know Ike has a thread about using the 986.2 injectors in a 986.1 and that they just need to be slightly modified for fitment.

So, If we take a 986.2, 3 chain, DME 7.8, M96 engine and put it in a 2001 model how do you want to handle the fuel system? Swap the hoses and sender or just use the fuel system from the 2001 (I think we'd need a fuel rail from a 2001 on the later engine)..?