View Single Post
Old 07-15-2021, 10:51 AM   #8
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanDrLily View Post
Hey, all --

I'm hoping you can help me figure this out:

New to me 2000 Boxster S. Previous owner reported an overheating issue, and the water pump was replaced by a Porsche-friendly indy shop. Still had temp issues -- the shop said bad head gasket and the owner then parked it for two years deciding what to do next.

Issue: I can't get it to stop ejecting coolant out of the tank's overflow.

It has a new (German) coolant expansion tank and it has a new '-04' cap on the tank, both from Pelican. I've flushed and refilled coolant and performed the usual air bleeding routine several times. If I run with the bleeder valve open, it will drizzle coolant constantly. If I rev the motor, upon deceleration it will eject a large volume of coolant. When I shut down the vehicle hot, it will dump even more coolant. If I close the bleeder valve, I will get steam coming from the overflow area when the car heats up (and it still dumps coolant).

I tried to pressure test the new tank, and I can't get it to pressurize at all. If I plug the overflow tube and just blow air into the coolant fill opening, air comes directly out of the overflow hole (what leads to the overflow tube - between the bleeder valve and the fill cap). This happens immediately -- it doesn't build any pressure first. No matter what I try, the coolant system won't hold any pressure.

Thoughts?
As goofy as this may sound, you need to find someone with the vacuum filling system and pull a vacuum on the system. If you have air trapped in it, it will all "burp" out under vacuum; if it does, top off the system with a 50/50 mix by using the vacuum system to pull it in.

if the system does not "burp" out any air, or refused to hold vacuum, something in the system is leaking (cracked head, etc.) and further digging is required.