View Single Post
Old 07-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #19
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
I had originally envisioned a cam shaft deviation, fluctuation monitor and threshold to specifically target the IMS bearing. Dancing deviations beyond a certain threshold giving an appropriate alarm. I am not sure whether this (ims bearing instability) could be sensed at a reasonably advanced time (before chips get on a detector).

Mr. Raby shot down this idea at the time......my memory fails me at to why
Take a ride in your car once fully warmed up with the Durametric system monitoring cam deviation values any you will have the answer to your question. With the valve timing system active, the deviation values jump all over the place, depending upon what the car is doing at the time; so a system that alarms when a certain deviation value is hit would be doing one of two things: Alarming every 15 seconds if it is set too low, never going off if it is set too high. It would also be comparatively expensive, as it would require something with computational capabilities to even work.