Thread: Buying Advice
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 08:28 AM   #10
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old911doc View Post
I’ve seen lots of 200,000+mile Porsches, quite a few 300,000+ mile Porsches, but I have never seen a 100,000+ mile Ferrari.
Check back with me in 24 months.

In the meantime, to the OP:
Do you DIY? If you do, then none of this is scary and you can forgo the fear some would put in your heart about needing a PPI, or the drivel spouted by some numbskulls about "...a cheap porsche will be the most expensive car you ever own..." .

It's.
Just.
a Car.
and it's a 23-yr-old car at that.

I'll admit that I don't understand the current market on the 986 Boxsters. What was a $4500 car 18 months ago, is now an $8500 car. What was a $12k car 24 months ago, is now a $20k car. I don't get it. It's untenable, from a market-value perspective, yet the age-old addage is that the value of something is exactly whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

If the car you're looking at seems like it's the car you want to drive, then it's probably the right one; knowing up front that you're going to spend money on it in the first 18 months, because it's a 23-yr-old car.

Now, if you DON'T DIY.... then my position remains that you shouldn't be buying a 23-yr-old car, unless it has some intrinsic emotional or collectible value to it. IF it does, then be sure your pockets are deep enough to pay someone else to read all of the advice you'll find here. :dance:
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote