View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 07:13 AM   #10
mreigie1

Possible IMS, Definate bad thing...

https://www.revolution-porsche.co.uk/news/ims-bearing-failure-symptoms-and-how-to-spot-them
This article and look under "symptoms" suggests a quest for metal flake or black plastic in your filter when changing your oil and in fact when I called a Porsche dealer to ask some simple questions I of course brought up the IMS and she said that they look for the same when the filter is changed as an early indicator. Not sure how many components involve black plastic as yes the metal can be from a number of other expensive places. I'm just looking at the odds. And very possible the vast majority do just "grenade" a lot of people like to disregard little noises at start up as long as they fade away. Every one of those little noises have a story to tell, some benign some not so much. I had the starter/flywheel thought as my initial hope and you know it may be just that but the cost difference alone between a starter and possibly a flywheel and an IMS adventure made that little voice in the back of my head say "done", at least for then. No, bottom line have a professional perform an inspection. This shop is not opposed to an inspection they just need to send their salesperson along and please choose the shop, don't them lead you to any particular establishment. It is a pretty car...Been there a long time, usually a reason. Regards. -Mike
P.S. I am still receiving ads, price drops etc from...well everyone. If I spot something worth looking at given we live in the same place I can give you a shout if you'd like.
mreigie1 is offline   Reply With Quote