View Single Post
Old 01-06-2021, 01:55 PM   #7
steved0x

I have the 2 QT LN Deep sump on my Boxster and never hit it on the ground, either when I was overly lowered on KSport coilovers with skidplate (never hit the skidplate either) or on moderately lowered with PSS9 with no skidplate. I just made sure to go diagonally across any speedbumps.

Like maytag referenced above, I do some short shifting. I personally shifted around 6,500 or below, and if I could go through a sweeper at the top of 3rd or midrange of 4th, I always chose 4th. And for slower corners, I would keep 3rd vs 2nd, and most times I could learn to roll more speed. It also depends on the turn, T7 at Road Atlanta it is faster for me to go to 2nd, and the braking works out for me to go from 3->2 there. Places like T1 at VIR, here I am vMin around 44-45, if I could shift to 2nd there I could gain some time, but I do some much trail braking there, that I am too fast go 3->2 before the turn in, and I don't have the skill to go 3->2 right at the apex.

On my first track day I had slightly overfilled my car with oil, and went through T8/9 at Roebling in the top of 3rd gear, and when I tracked out and then shifted to 4th, I blew a huge smoke bomb. I haven't ever blown one since but I have seen plenty of them. Not running through a sweeper near the top of the gear and not overfilling my oil fixed it for me.

The other mod that I think helped me was a switch to run both of my radiator fans on high, combined with the 2 QT Deep sump, and I ran 10W50 Millers Nano, kept my oil in control and allowed me to have good Used Oil Analysis reports.

Please post some video next time you get out to the track!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote