View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #4
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Investment might not have been the best term for it, but that’s what came to mind when spending 10 grand on a car. I think most cars would be considered an investment no?

I’m looking for a “cool” car, hah!

Probably a key determinant: It cannot be passed by ugly ricer cars who think adding stickers and makes their cars faster and thinks slamming and camming so they’re scraping on every bump ......
I think we've got some competing interests here. ;-)

Perhaps it's because of the years i spent on superbikes, and drag-racing musclecars, but i don't find the straight- line speed exhilarating any more. So for me, a "cool" car doesn't need to care about how many ricer cars can beat it from stop light to stop light. And since that's not on my list of what makes a car fun to drive, well, then my list might be different from yours. My fun-car list includes a base boxster because it's like driving a go kart, which makes you earn every mph you can gain on a straight by carrying a few more through a corner. To me, watching someone who's been toying around with you in traffic fade in the mirror as you accelerate into an interchange for which they are braking.... well.... THAT'S fun. Same can be said for braking zones. Like the corvette (of any generation) it's easily recognizable, but carries a little more sophistication on the badging.

In my own opinion, the C7 corvette is when I started noticing that Chevy was interested in moving the focus of the car; once this happened, the C8 was inevitable. And, because i happen to own one of those starts-with-an-I ends-with-talian cars, I'm active on the Ferrari forums, where the C8 is a hot topic right now. Having driven one, I'm quite confident i could rally a C8 pretty hard at the racetrack, haha. Seriously: it would demoralize my F430, which even 13 years old still costs more than the C8. (But then again: it's 13 years old.... should we be comparing them?)

Ok.... back to your fun-car. Maybe the C5 hits the buttons for ya. I think if I were looking corvette, I'd be more inclined towards an early-to-mid '70's. It seems they're beginning to outgrow the stigma. You should go drive some, and get back to us. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by maytag; 09-05-2020 at 05:47 PM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote