View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 07:37 AM   #8
Keith Newby

My first Porsche was a 68 912 purchased with the engine in the back seat. The original crank had snapped and I built the engine with a super 90 crank and NPR pistons. It was my commuter and I drove it 35 miles each way to work for many years…until the crank broke. I rebuilt the engine once again and sold it to a guy from Germany who shipped it back.

I also bought an early 914 from a friend of my then girl friend who said “it just stopped running on the freeway”. Purchased as another commuter car, it just sat in my driveway while I maintained and drove my 912. I sold it locally to someone more interested in it than I was and gained some parking space at my home.

The next Porsche was a 67S. Again, not running because the previous owner had installed an aftermarket steering wheel and had put in the turn signal cancelling plate upside down and toasted the wiring as a result. I replaced the wring section from a junker I parted out (in my driveway…my neighbors love me) and all was well. I did a ground up restoration on the 67 taking 17 years in the process and sold it recently through a dealer in Newport Beach. I got to the point that it was just too nice to drive, and it didn’t respond well to just sitting in my garage.

The Boxster is the first Porsche that wasn’t delivered to me on a flat bed in a non running condition. Amazing.

Keith
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote