View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 10:50 AM   #57
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Maybe there is something about the right not to wear a mask during a pandemic in the constitution, but I must of missed it.
Have you READ the constitution of the United States? If you had, then you would understand that the document enumerates those specific areas where government CAN restrict freedoms. So, the fact that facemasks are not mentioned in the constitution actually feeds the argument against the gov't being allowed to mandate them. (So I'd probably quit bringing that point up, if I wanted to encourage the naysayers to wear facemasks)

I think Starter made an important point when he said he'd like to be asked, not required (I'm paraphrasing). I think this is a common theme amongst conservatives regarding many, many issues: You (the gov't) don't have the right to compel me, so just ask us nicely. This is, for instance, how I feel about taxation for social programs, and many other governmental "programs" which may have best-interests at heart, but seek to compel where there is no precedent or constitutional basis for that power being given to gov't.

Having said that, While I bristle at the unconstitutionality of all that's being foisted upon us right now, I try not to let the leaves block the view of the forest. I still give to charity, and I still wear a facemask when and where I'm asked to do so.
I have a BIGGER problem with the seeming-incongruity behind supporting Protests and protesters (even though they are rarely masked and are NEVER social-distancing) while simultaneously shutting-down religious gatherings, schools, in-person voting and an entire host of other activities which could certainly be done with a modicum of safety that far exceeds what is being exercised during a protest / statue vandalizing session.

I don't make decisions based on the "slippery-slope" idea, but you must admit that there is merit to it. You see, while Covid is certainly real and scary, it HAS most-certainly been politicized, and is being used to influence behavior. To what end? Well, I have my own opinions about that; What are YOURS?
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote