View Single Post
Old 10-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #13
kt1

z12358: Yes I am, any type of weight reduction can help, albeit minimal, but I'm doing it to see what I can run at the absolute best with a stock 2.5L engine. Call me anal or extreme but I always strip my cars before going to the tracks.

I see I'm getting quite a bit of flame as to stripping so I'd better clarify my rationale and to be clear since I am new and I rather not get into the bad side of the politics of 986forum. I'm removing any unneccessary components to get the chassis as lightest as possible. It may not seem practical to many to shave off say milliseconds off the 1/4 mi timeslip but I do not plan to run this vehicle any more times than this once at the dragstrip hence why I chose to go "all out" the first time on the stock platform to see what I can do. I'm not leaving the box like this because I do daily drive the vehicle, so all my components are being reinstalled after track day.

I've been to tracks before and weight does have a significant influence on the speed of the vehicle, great example is the Honda B18C motor placed into an Integra Type R chassis; runs mid to low 14s, but once it was placed in the Lotus Elise, which chassis was significantly lighter by 500-600+ lbs or more it ran low 13s, excluding chassis/drivetrain differences.

Obviously I'm not expecting to shave off a whole second by simply removing what I've stated, but any little bit helps. Hope that clarifies...cheerios.
kt1 is offline   Reply With Quote