Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
kt1

Hello from a new owner and a have a question..?

Before I start let me do an introduction,

I got my boxster a couple of months ago (July '06) and have always modified and repaired my own vehicles when I began driving...starting from an integra, bimmer, m-benz and now the porsche...

I've tinkered with my box a bit, replaced my water pump (pulley started to make a bit of noise), thermostat, drained and refilled the coolant, replaced spark plugs, did an oil change, lowered the box with bilstein sports and eibach pro-kit springs, removed factory cd220 headunit, factory amp and factory cd changer for a touch screen/dvd headunit (alpine d300), alpine amp, and kenwood sub. And have more plans for modifying and look forward to working on a roadster.

So my question is, I plan to go to the drag strips to see what a stock 2.5L box can do in the 1/4 mile times and was wondering has anyone tried octane boosters? Reason being is that, and anyone from the state of California should know, is that we only have the 91 octane as the standard premium fuel rating. At the tracks I plan on putting in the Hy-per Fuel Max Octane booster before running. Has anyone tried this and is there any precautions against it? Other than that I do know that concentrated amounts do damage o2 sensors and spark plugs, but I'm not planning to run it with a concentrated amount.

Well here's a pic of the octane booster product...

kt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt1
Before I start let me do an introduction,

I got my boxster a couple of months ago (July '06) and have always modified and repaired my own vehicles when I began driving...starting from an integra, bimmer, m-benz and now the porsche...

I've tinkered with my box a bit, replaced my water pump (pulley started to make a bit of noise), thermostat, drained and refilled the coolant, replaced spark plugs, did an oil change, lowered the box with bilstein sports and eibach pro-kit springs, removed factory cd220 headunit, factory amp and factory cd changer for a touch screen/dvd headunit (alpine d300), alpine amp, and kenwood sub. And have more plans for modifying and look forward to working on a roadster.

So my question is, I plan to go to the drag strips to see what a stock 2.5L box can do in the 1/4 mile times and was wondering has anyone tried octane boosters? Reason being is that, and anyone from the state of California should know, is that we only have the 91 octane as the standard premium fuel rating. At the tracks I plan on putting in the Hy-per Fuel Max Octane booster before running. Has anyone tried this and is there any precautions against it? Other than that I do know that concentrated amounts do damage o2 sensors and spark plugs, but I'm not planning to run it with a concentrated amount.

Well here's a pic of the octane booster product...
Hi,

Sounds as if you've had quite a project. I wouldn't recommend a fuel additive for a couple of reasons. First, it may effect the OČ Sensors. Second, these are mostly pure Hype and despite paying the equivalent of something like $27/gal. for the stuff, they only raise the octane rating a couple of points - read 0.1-0.2 Octane.

If you're going for a maxxed TimeSlip, I'd suggest a tankful of 100 Octane Race Gas for your Track days. It may take some searching, but I'm sure you'll find it available at somewhere between $5 and $6/gal. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
kt1

Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply. And yes I've had a couple projects (and tedious) done with the boxster for only two months owning it, definately a different platform of a vehicle than what I am accostomed to (compared to front engine front drive or front engine rear drive vehicles). Bummer on the suggestions against using it. I should probably just go with finding the 100 octane like you specified. I guess I should just give the bottle away to a friend with a less sensitive motors on track day.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:25 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Hey if your heading to a drag strip and want to lose some weight fast,LOSE THE SPARE TIRE & TOOLS!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 12:32 AM   #5
kt1

Yep, that's exactly what i was planning to do. Remove spare, tools, passenger seat, carpenting, peices of center console, my hardtop, and my system.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:52 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt1
Yep, that's exactly what i was planning to do. Remove spare, tools, passenger seat, carpenting, peices of center console, my hardtop, and my system.
Are you making the car a track car? Removing the carpeting,center console and "your system"(I assume you mean stereo) is alot of work for losing 30 lbs at most(guessestimate,I've removed them all and have an idea of what they weight).
Old 10-23-2006, 03:34 AM   #7

From a former quartermiler Im afraid you may be disapointed. The Boxster just isnt a quarter mile car. Now if your going for fun and you dont care about times, have a good time. Just my thoughts.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:24 AM   #8
kt1

blinkwatt: No, it's not going to be a track car, but I wanted to see what the car's time is with whatever I can do in all good fun. And as far as system, yes I mean stereo + it's componenets, hence the lingo of "system" because it includes headunit, speakers, any amplifiers, wires, and components/speakers which is a system of things. As for only 30 lbs i think it may be more with seats, carpeting and items, the carepeting is quite heavy with its sound deadening material.

ohioboxster: Yeah i'm ready to be dissapointed because this car definitely doesn't have the grunt but sure has the footwork to take corners. I'm just curious what did you end up running?

Last edited by kt1; 10-23-2006 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:31 PM   #9

I havent taken the Boxster to the 1/4 mile and I dont think I will. My post was refering to past cars that I have owned, this is an old pic and one I have posted before. After driving this.......

Old 10-23-2006, 01:54 PM   #10
kt1

oh haha, I can see as to why you'd say what you said after owning that. What was your fastest time on that pup?
Old 10-23-2006, 01:56 PM   #11

"...but I wanted to see what the car's time is with whatever I can do in all good fun. And as far as system, yes I mean stereo + it's componenets, hence the lingo of "system" because it includes headunit, speakers, any amplifiers, wires, and components/speakers which is a system of things. As for only 30 lbs i think it may be more with seats, carpeting and items, the carepeting is quite heavy with its sound deadening material."

kt1, so you're going to strip the car to the bones just to see how fast it can get on a 1/4 mile run?

Z.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:02 PM   #12

I had the T/A in the mid 12's it had more but going to the track is a great time and its cheap too. So, go have fun.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #13
kt1

z12358: Yes I am, any type of weight reduction can help, albeit minimal, but I'm doing it to see what I can run at the absolute best with a stock 2.5L engine. Call me anal or extreme but I always strip my cars before going to the tracks.

I see I'm getting quite a bit of flame as to stripping so I'd better clarify my rationale and to be clear since I am new and I rather not get into the bad side of the politics of 986forum. I'm removing any unneccessary components to get the chassis as lightest as possible. It may not seem practical to many to shave off say milliseconds off the 1/4 mi timeslip but I do not plan to run this vehicle any more times than this once at the dragstrip hence why I chose to go "all out" the first time on the stock platform to see what I can do. I'm not leaving the box like this because I do daily drive the vehicle, so all my components are being reinstalled after track day.

I've been to tracks before and weight does have a significant influence on the speed of the vehicle, great example is the Honda B18C motor placed into an Integra Type R chassis; runs mid to low 14s, but once it was placed in the Lotus Elise, which chassis was significantly lighter by 500-600+ lbs or more it ran low 13s, excluding chassis/drivetrain differences.

Obviously I'm not expecting to shave off a whole second by simply removing what I've stated, but any little bit helps. Hope that clarifies...cheerios.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:14 PM   #14

kt1, no flames here. You'll find this forum to be one the friendliest forum experiences you've had. Good luck and let us know what time you get.

Z.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:20 PM   #15

kt1,

My guess is 14.8 @ 93 mph...

Let me know the final results

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #16
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
If you are going to the strip, stay out of the burnout water. Keep your tires dry and do a fast start with no wheel spin.

The last thing you want to do in a 986 is a burnout. All you will get is a lot of wheel hop and eventually busted CV joints or worse.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote